Kohler valvet question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by analogguy, Dec 28, 2012.

1. analogguy

analogguy New Member

I have to replace a Kohler valvet stem assembly (hot side) and was wondering if there is a trick to installing it correctly. Should the valve be all the way open or all the way closed when installed? I've read somewhere that if done incorrectly the handle will just keep spinning and will not work. Thanks.
  2. Winslow

Winslow Plumber

keep the stem half closed. Tighten it by hand ensuring that the stem can spin freely until the bonnet is tight. Why not replace the hot and cold at the same time while the water is off? Do not apply any grease on the stem, have had them open by itself after using greaseon the stem (brass barrel type).
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Anything except "closed". You have to hold the stem while tightening the bonnet or it will open or close itself, depending on whether it is a right hand or left hand stem. If it opens, no problem, if it closes, you will NOT be able to tighten it properly.
  4. analogguy

analogguy New Member

Problem solved. Thanks to all..you guys are the greatest!