Kohler Tub Drain fix

Users who are viewing this thread

Mfellows

Reaction score
My daughters tub had an old linkage type pop up drain assembly that constantly plugged with hair, etc. My son-in-law yanked the assembly and of course a washcloth went down the drain. In order to prevent this from happening again, I would like to install a pop-up or twist and turn assembly. Home Depot has a couple of Danco options, but I've not read too many good things about Danco on this board. Could I just buy something like a Watts 5CP, twist the old drain out of the tub and just use the chrome pop up assembly/gasket with the existing drain/trap which is brass? Any other options?

http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing/h...d=10053&langId=-1&keyword=watts&storeId=10051

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is hard to say, because it depends on what size thread your strainer has. A "replacement" strainer and overflow cover will usually have a bushing so it fits the two most common threads, but if yours is a special thread, such as some older Crane drains, then you would need a special bushing. The second problem YOU could have is if it is corroded in place. If so, then you have to "cut" the strainer out to prevent damaging the brass components outside the tub. This is a task best left to a plumber who has done it many times without damaging the tub's surface.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I have never seen an old one come out with ease. Cutting them out is not easy. It's best to remove the whole thing n replace it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; It's best to remove the whole thing n replace it.

and also the most expensive, especially if there is no access to the drain assembly without makeing a hole in the wall somewhere. Cutting the drain plug out, is NOT particularly difficult, IF you know how to do it properly.

Mfellows

Reaction score
I took a couple of pics to see if anyone can identify the drain manufacturer (the overflow cover says Kohler?) The drain itself has 2 little ears that could be used to turn out the drain, however a standard drain removal tool is way too small on one end and slightly too large on the other end.

drain1.jpg
drain2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When the overflow plate says KOHLER, it is a Kohler drain assembly. There are several tools specifically for removing the drain plug, but NONE of them are inexpensive enough to warrant buying to remove a single drain fitting, especially if they do not work and you have to cut it out anyway. One thing NOT to do is try to force it, because you could break the tube under the tub and then you DO have to replace the entire drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks