Kohler Tresham K-3981 and Converter 14" to 12" K-5381

Users who are viewing this thread

Need Answer

Reaction score
k-3981_p_01.jpg

I want to use the Kohler K-3981 Tresham Full-Skirted toilet. It has a Converter Adapter K-5381 which is exclusively designed to convert my 14" rough-in to be used with this 12" toilet K-3981. My question is has anyone tried to install this K-5381 Converter Adapter ? Does it work to do full successful flush ?

k-3981_install_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Need Answer

Reaction score
Thanks, for your idea. Is the flush efficiency compromised by using the converter adapter OR is this
the same design that would be used on most toilets if you were to be able to view a "CUTAWAY" version of most toilets. Since the TRESHAM toilet uses such a little bit of water and uses the Kohler "aqua piston cannister" for the flush, -which is not highly spoken of on many threads, -the last thing that I want to do is
compromise the flushing efficiency by adding lots of additional angles and curves. So, would you say that the
curves of the adapter/converter are similiar to traps in other toilets ?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not sure I fully follow your question, but Kohler has copied the Toto Unifit adapter that has proven to be very successful. However, I'm pretty sure the Kohler adapter like the Toto Unift will only work on specific models of their toilets. In other words, these are not universal adapters that will work on all toilets, Kohler or otherwise. The Toto Unifit does not create a flushing problem. I can't comment on the trap design in Kohler. At one time these were a problem in there conventional toilets because of a sharp bend. Has this be correct? I do no know.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I would seriously consider the Toto Soiree, which Kohler evidently knocked off to make the Tresham. The Toto Unifit adapter which is used on the Soiree has a multi-year history of adapting the Soiree to 14" and 10" rough-ins. Soiree is one of Toto's best toilets, and many of us on here can vouch for its excellent flush.

Another great Toto that works with a Unifit Adapter is the Toto Carlyle II, which would be more in the price range of the Tesham.

Both the Soiree and the Carlyle II (as well as the Toto Vespin II) have standard internal guts, available virtually anywhere and by several manufacturers, which work well and provide an excellent flush. Cheap, and easy to replace yourself, when the time comes 5-10 years from now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks