Kohler Touchless Flushing Retrofit K-1954

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Terry, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Kohler has a retrofit to add touchless flushing to toilets. We sometimes get asked about how to add this, and here's the kit.
    K-1954

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Conversion for many cannister Kohler tanks.

[​IMG]

Seems like a cool idea. You can either keep the original flush lever, or simply remove it and go completly touchless.
  2. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

Just learned about this on a big box site. Kohler has an installation video. Thing that caught my eye on the video was the rotary action for the actuator and the fact that it seems to keep the flapper fully off the valve seat for 5 seconds. This would seem to me to defeat low-flow flushing since it won't allow the flapper to rapidly go back down and seat.

Am I missing something?
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Jamie and I installed one to see how it works on a newer bowl.
    It does hold the flapper up too long. I asked about it, and they know it too. They made the timing such that it would work with the old pre 90's toilets. For many of the 1.6 and 1.28 it holds the flapper up, and it can't drop until the tank has emptied.

I would be nice if they had variable timing on it.
  4. queen50

queen50 Member

I wonder if I could train my cat to use it. He will only drink while the water is running into out a freshly-flushed bowl!
  5. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

I am actually pretty outraged by this. There doesn't appear to be a single word in their materials indicating that this will destroy the water-saving aspect of your toilet. Really, Kohler? Guess all that verbiage about your commitment to the environment is just BS. Good to know.

PS Their response to Terry makes no sense whatsoever. The market for this thing is going to be composed of people who pay attention to their toilets. The vast preponderance of these folks will have remodeled their home or built a new home since the 1.6gpf regulations have come into effect. To design a new modern product for those who don't even notice their toilet is idiotic and doesn't pass the smell test. Does this mess with the water-measuring of their canister flush models, which are exclusively on low-flows? If not, then they made a product to work on Kohler products and not properly on others. Now THAT would make sense.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  6. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

One of the user reviews on one of the big box websites mentioned having trained their dog to put his muzzle up on the tank over the sensor and making the toilet flush, as a party trick.