Kohler Toilet 81100 owners, replacement options

Users who are viewing this thread

mikendomsmum

Reaction score
replacement pressure tank for 81100 Pressure Clean

Can you recommend a replacement pressure tank for the 81100 model? Ours worked great for many years but now is broken beyond repair. We'd love to replace the tank inside with another power flush model because we can't get a decent flush from that side of the house without it.
TIA

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The last time I swapped out a Rialto for someone with a "Kohler letter" was about 1998. I had no idea they were still offering that.

alwayslakers08

Reaction score
mikendomsmum said:
Can you recommend a replacement pressure tank for the 81100 model? Ours worked great for many years but now is broken beyond repair. We'd love to replace the tank inside with another power flush model because we can't get a decent flush from that side of the house without it.
TIA

Hey i replaced mine the other day. I called them and told them about the kohler toilet and how the pressure tank exploded. They said they would give me a brand new toilet that is about $600 for 150 and no shipping and handling. Pretty good deal...got it the other day and installed it...great toilet.:)

amature

Reaction score
k3404 81100 flush onepiece

my 81100 one piece is from 1995. it just started to run, so i checked the web for replacements. no dice. the web says these bad boys explode, i thought the bidet was a blast, but look out. Kohler will replace for $150 free shipping. the caveat is that the color may be discontinued! they are sending me 3 bolt caps to help choose a replacement bowl. will update as things proceed. hope the bowl holds out long enough.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
This brings up a question: Are pressure-assist tanks in general safe? When I got my first one I was looking for an overflow path in case the plastic tank inside decides to take a dump. Didn't see one...

Regards, Joerg.

Yes, the "overflow" is at the bottom. When in "ready to flush" mode, the flush valve at the bottom provides free flow of water in the tank...to the bowl. When the flush plunger is pushed, this opening is sealed. Pour a gallon of water in the tank and you will see it drains right out. I pour a gallon of white vinegar now and then to help the rim holes.

200Volts

Reaction score
My K3404 with the 81100 Flushometer system just overflowed covering my bathroom floor. Thank God we were home.
After mopping the floor and sponging out the tank, I see a leak on the left side seem, where the black plastic pressure tank "end" is glued, welded or whatever to the cylindrical center section. I had to use a mechanic's mirror and flashlight to see the leak, near the bottom.
I sent Kohler an email, they're closed today because of the holiday.

We ordered our replacement from Kohler for $150.00, including the install kit and shipping. It just arrived. They asked for the s/n from the old toilet. They claim the footprint is the same, we'll see next weekend when I install it.

Last edited:

RogerLee

Reaction score
Kohler 81100 help please

Received replacement for one of my old 81100 pressure assist toilets - Kohler charged me $200 + tax. I have one more toilet that dosent work and I don't know what to do with it ... it has the same 81100, but in the discontinued high fashion Jade (#26) color. I'd rather not change out my Jacuzzi and sink to match a new toilet of different color... Anyone have any suggestions on where I can find ANY toilet ANY brand in a Jade color?
:)

mach2lou

Reaction score
kohler 81000 replacement

is it still possible to obtain a replacement for the Kohler 81000 pressure tank toilet?
lou siegel

Good news for owners of Kohler 81100 pressure-assist toilets. Kohler is offering FREE replacements for this troublesome (& sometimes dangerous) model. Owners can exchange for a new K-3467 San Raphael at no charge. The new model is not pressure-assisted, so owners need not worry about the explosions & floods reported with the 81100.[/QUOTE]

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
is it still possible to obtain a replacement for the Kohler 81000 pressure tank toilet?
lou siegel

Good news for owners of Kohler 81100 pressure-assist toilets. Kohler is offering FREE replacements for this troublesome (& sometimes dangerous) model. Owners can exchange for a new K-3467 San Raphael at no charge. The new model is not pressure-assisted, so owners need not worry about the explosions & floods reported with the 81100.

Yea but the replacement is not free...
They just give you $$$ towards another fine Kohler product....

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
Hi Terry:
Well, I never thought I would be writing on toilets, but I just had a major flood due to the Kohler 81100 tank. You can imagine what havoc it created, as it was a "major flood". I now need to decide on a replacement toilet. Kohler will send a replacement San Rafael with Ingenium flushing. However, I've read some reviews that say Kohler's require lots of flushing, and I can't determine if that is for the current flushing technology or older systems, but I'm now concerned.. I live on the 12th floor of an apartment building, so I guess there is lots of gravity, but this will be a frequently used toilet.
I would welcome your advice on whether I should stick with the Kohler with Ingenium flushing, or try a Toto instead (and if so, what type of flushing system). Also, any thoughts on low tanks vs. high ones, or is it just cosmetics?
Thanks,
Jodie

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Jodie,
The Ingenium San Rafael should work fine, free is a great price too. Kohler has been very good about this.
I can't imagine some of the imports giving this type of support.
It does have the 2" flush valve and the bendy trapway, so don't push it too hard. Stay away from the cotton based Charmin paper.
I find that the Costco embossed works better, it is paper, not cotton. Cotton really sticks up the plumbing.
The plumbing in the apartment building will be fine, plugs happen in the lower trapway of the toilet. Once it makes it past there, it's a twelve story drop.

If you want higher performance, then sure, pick up at TOTO.
The bowls with CEFIONTECT are really nice too.

Louie619

Reaction score
Update on 81100

Today, we took Kohler's offer of $125. for a replacement tank.
Good deal for us, since the toilet in place is a floor mount-rear outlet fixture, and they cost a fortune!

L l Smith

Reaction score
Kohler 81100 Toilet Floods RECALL?!
Well until I found this site, I never knew these toilets had issues. We bought this house just 3 years ago. Until two days ago, there were no tioilet issues...and then there were big ones. Huge flood when this thing went. We weren't home so it ran and flooded for about 12 hours. Three floors of ceilings and flooring and even kitchen cabinetry ruined. Here's the problem that I need help with: I reached out to Kohler. They say this toilet (with my serial number) was NOT part of a recall but just discontinued. Flushmate says its guts were NOT part of its recall but were, indeed, a Kohler product. I have a home warranty (different problem!) and the plumber they sent reported it WAS recalled which then releases the Home Warranty, and now possibly our insurance, from liability as they say we were negligible for not participating in the recall. Again, I've now verified that they are incorrect. I need substantiation that it was NOT recalled. Besides I only owned the house a few years and I certainly wouldn't have received notice anyway- I didn't buy it! Kohler will NOT email or mail a statement that says what they say on the phone " This product was NOT recalled but only discontinued" so that I can stand up to my insurance and warranty companies. Any suggestions?! Serial # on flushometer was T94F04988 and the toilet was labeled as a Kohler 81100 slushometer unit. My research says it was discontinued in 1996! Again, no recall. Did anyone else have info that could help?! - Desperate and under water!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
This Kohler toilet was never recalled. Not ever. They did offer a replacement. What is the name of your insurance company and Home Warranty company. If they're not willing to put up then people should know that before they buy the policy. Please feel free to mention who they are so that people can be warned about the insurance companies.

Last edited:

joseph123

Reaction score
Sorry for resurrecting this very old thread...Does anyone know if the replacement program still exists? My unit is a single piece Kohler with the 81100 pressure assist unit so not sure how they would deal with that too

I’m an inexperienced DIYer and looking for your help.

I have a few of these toilets and two have them have failed within a week of each other. These pressure assist units generate a lot of pressure and they seem to have plastic feet that have broken so they don’t hold on to the bottom. When you flush, they move since they aren’t anchored down well so they don’t flush well.

What are the options here? I’ve tried removing one...there are to wingnuts accessible underneath the tank but once you loosen them, they just turn because you’ll need to hold them from the inside. The pressure unit is so large that you can’t fit your hand down inside to hold the other side so you can loosen the wingnut enough to pull the unit out.

Is there some special tool or some particular way you can remove this? Are there replacement units available? Are there alternatives (ie can you put a standard flushing mechanism as a replacement)? Or do you have to replace the entire toilet?
View attachment 46884 View attachment 46883

Last edited by a moderator:

wa5eiv

Reaction score
I just called Kohler 1/20/2023 and my Flushometer 81100 has been discontinued and no parts are available. My flush pressure was low and would not flush properly. I could make it work for a few days by turning off the water and draining the tank then turning the water back on and re-pressurizing the tank. Sounded like a leaky valve or o-ring.
Anyway the tech rep offered to send me a new toilet for 50% discount which I accepted. I could not get the old color so I selected the closest match. We'll see how it looks in a few days, I hope.
I still have to pay a plumber to install it. I could do it, but don't want to take the chance of screwing it up.
Kohler initially sent me to Sloan, who makes the Flushmate, but Sloan said they did not make the Flushometer, it was a Kohler product. When I went back to Kohler the tech rep was very helpful and offered to send me a new toilet for the 50% off, including shipping.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks