Kohler shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

hoe moaner

Reaction score
I had a Kohler single handle shower vale (forte K-T10274) installed as part of a recent bathroom remodel. The installer tested for water flow, but not temperature. Now the remodel is finished, and I went to use the shower. I find it delivers only cold water. I removed the handle and checked the temp regulator set screw. It is about centered in the fitting. I opened the valve to full with the handle removed, and the valve stops before it gets to the set screw. There is about a quarter inch gap between the end of the set screw and the stop.
Is there some kind of an internal stop mechanism in the valve? Could the valve be installed upside down in the housing?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Only if you can reverse the motion of the handle and achieve hot.....willl determine if it was installed upside down.

Some, not all assemblies though allow a 180 reversal of the cartridge to correct this problem when installer error is made with hot and cold reversed.

If the valve is completely upside down, and the tub spout is now being used for the shower, then it's going to have to come out to fix the problem.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
KofK

If it is installed upside down, (which I often do intentionally), and the core was not reversed, then you should start out with hot water and turn to cold as you rotate the handle.

hoe moaner

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I am still puzzled by the fact that the handle does not fully rotate (clockwise) all the way to the stop. As I noted in my first post, it comes to a halt about a quarter inch away from it. Any thoughts on this?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks