Kohler Shower mixer handle feels tight

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by nancywis, Jul 16, 2011.

1. nancywis

nancywis New Member

My shower handle was slipping, the shower head was dripping, and I was having trouble with water temperature. I installed a new Kohler mixer ($129 part!). The problems seem resolved, but the handle is really hard to turn. Is this just because it is new- though is seems too tight for that to be the problem.
  2. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

If you could post the model# that might help me help you.
    Picture would help too.
  3. nancywis

nancywis New Member

I believe it is a Kohler Niedecken buit in mixometer. On a page i got from my hardware store, it reverences 7000 series.
  4. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

I went to the Kohler site and they do not list your faucet.
    The only thing I can tell you is might have tightened to much.
    Model# and pic sure would help.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If it was a Niedecken, (which I have not seen or heard about in 40 years), then it has a packing nut which will make the stem too tight if it was overtightened. But replacing the control mechanism was also the most costly way to repair it.