Kohler shower hardware....

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by rfsmith48, May 20, 2013.

1. rfsmith48

rfsmith48 Member

Folks,

Recently completed a total re-do of a small bathroom.

The wife requested a shower head with more "Force" (Interpreted as higher flow velocity. Shower flow volume is spot on to the 2.5 gal/min standard.)

The Kohler parts are bass ackwards to most of the shower hardware that I have seen:

Shower head: K-10590-AK-BN PDf files show female connection: Mine is male: Threads are undersize for 1/2" pipe thread.
    http://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/kpna/catalog/pdf/en/1040132_4.pdf

Shower outlet: K-9511-BN PDF files show male connection: Mine is female: Threads are undersize for 1/2" pipe thread.

http://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/kpna/catalog/pdf/en/087753_4.pdf

I have talked with Kohler about these problems. They have promised to get back to me......

Question: Does anyone make a SS short nipple that has the undersize male threads on one (or both) end?

Are there any other easy/inexpensive solutions to changing the shower head?

TIA,

Rog
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2013
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Looking at the spec sheets everything looks fine.

1/2 NPT, which is standard stuff.

I see that the K-9511 has two outlets, a male 1/2" pipe thread and a 1/2 hose thread with diverter.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 20, 2013
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Something is not kosher. Kohler would not make items with the "wrong" male thread, AND then also make them undersized. EIther you have some metric stuff, or it is some company's copy of a Kohler design. As far as "undersized" goes, there would not be an "standard" for an undersized thread so it would have to be made to match what you have.
  4. rfsmith48

rfsmith48 Member

Yeah,

I am scratching my head too....

The K9511 shown above is not the same as mine. (Mine has a Female connector for the shower head.)
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013