Kohler Shower Door Install question.

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by xjmllc, Dec 15, 2011.

1. xjmllc

xjmllc New Member

I am installing new kohler shower doors into my existing tub/shower surround. The instructions call for anchoring the side frame to the wall via #8-1.5" screw and anchors. This in fine BUT I must go through my surround ( about 2-3 inches, hollow) before I get to the drywall. I'm thinking of installing the anchor inside the cavity of the surround instead of going all the way to the wall. Will the surround support the glass doors?

IMAG0116.jpg . See picture.

thanks,
    alex
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Particularly with a frameless pivot door, the connection needs to be solid. You might need to open up the backside of the wall and add additional framing to make it so.

If you know who made the surround, you might seek out their instructions to see what they recommend.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sliding doors, or pivoting? Sliding, a plastic wall anchor will work fine, pivoting, I think you'd want more strength. But, since the frame is square in the square opening, as long as it can't move much (it should be solid with the screw anchors and then the caulk), I think it should be fine. I'd call Kohler to confirm, but keep in mind, some glass enclosures are just sealed in place with silicon.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If the door has a top and bottom bar, then the screws just have to keep it from shifting so fastening it to the surround will be adequate, since the caulking will also hold it in place. There is probably NOT anything inside the wall to attach longer screws to anyway, so that would be LESS sturdy than attaching to the surround.
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Any chance there is blocking already inside that surface on the surround? It looks tailor made for that!@
  6. xjmllc

xjmllc New Member

The doors are sliding. Not sure about blocking inside, but i'm sure ill find out when i drill. I guess my main concern is strain on the tub surround over time and the possibility of cracking under stress.

LINK TO DOOR
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It will be fine with just hollow wall anchors into the sides. That holds the top and bottom pieces in place along with gravity and the caulk. The caulk on the sides and bottom keep that part rigid. The only issue you might have is if you fell full force against the door. In that case, you might break it, but that would likely happen long before you broke the thing out of the walls, and you'd be hurting a lot, too.