Kohler Rialto K-3402 - Flush Ball replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

thediver

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have one of those boat anchors a pre 1998 Rialto Kohler K3402 made in 1992. Thanks to this forum I was able to replace the entire fill valve system due to it constantly running or leaking at the top three screws.

Now I have a problem with a leak at the flush ball (or flapper). It leaks at various speeds. I took it out to clean the residue off of it to make sure it wasn't that since that helped in the past. This time it didn't work and the leak is actually worse.

I need a replacement and have tried two different Korky replacement parts. Both didn't work since the size was off by a tad. Has anyone found a replacement flush ball that works with these toilets? If so, I would be grateful for some advice.

Thanks in advance.

Amy

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Suggest you scroll down about 12 messages or so and read the thread, "Kohler Persude". It wouldn't surprise me is you could get a entire Toto toilet for what you will end up paying for the repair parts on the "boat anchor". Might be time to move into the new century.

thediver

Reaction score
Suggest you scroll down about 12 messages or so and read the thread, "Kohler Persude". It wouldn't surprise me is you could get a entire Toto toilet for what you will end up paying for the repair parts on the "boat anchor". Might be time to move into the new century.

Buying three new toilets are not an option or in my budget. I was able to find replacment parts for the entire fill valve assembly for under $30 at Ace Hardware. Kohler sells this part for $120.15. Big difference. Kohler also sells what I am looking for - flush ball for $39.05. I would rather spend that then purchase new toilets and hire a plumber to install them.

Please just suggest a replacement part for the flush ball if you know of one, not just "get a new toilet."

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally my son buys a complete kit for the Kohler in the $120 plus range that fixes the problem. He does this for a friend of his every so often.
With the Kohler, it must be a normal maintenance thing.

I guess it's like going to JiffyLube for an oil change.

k-3402-parts-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited:

SamC

Reaction score
HD and Lowe's both have Fluidmaster replacement parts for a number of brands and models of toilets. You might give that a try.

kohler-84499-1b1x-pic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you upgrade to a new Toto the payback will be as follows...
The fill valve will cost $20
The flapper will cost $10
The toilet will flush 2-3X what the Rialto will do without clogging

See its economical to upgrade!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Interesting how stories change. In the opening sentence of the original question, the writer says, "I have ONE of those boat anchors a pre 1998 Rialto Kohler K3402 made in 1992." In the next response, ONE has increased to THREE. :confused:

Grazzy

Reaction score
Lowe's recently started carrying the fill valve for $9.98. The flapper is tougher, even the kohler replacement doesn't work well. i got one at ferguson's for about $4.00.

thediver

Reaction score
Interesting how stories change. In the opening sentence of the original question, the writer says, "I have ONE of those boat anchors a pre 1998 Rialto Kohler K3402 made in 1992." In the next response, ONE has increased to THREE. :confused:

ONE boat anchor that has a leaking flush ball that needs a new flapper. TWO other boat anchors working fine. Hope that clarifies.

thediver

Reaction score
Lowe's recently started carrying the fill valve for $9.98. The flapper is tougher, even the kohler replacement doesn't work well. i got one at ferguson's for about $4.00.

Grazzy, do you happen to remember the manufacture and model # of the flapper you found at Ferguson's?

Grazzy

Reaction score
what has worked the best for me is the plumbpak 23592. remember, i have the conversion float valve with the hooks on the side. i had to get a plastic chain from a fluidmaster kit because the metal one kept kinking on me, and i also had to fit one of those black plastic washers on each hook to prevent the flapper from moving sideways occasionally. works pretty good with that one. plumbpack also now makes the 1B1X ballcock for it and it's just under ten bucks at lowe's.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I've installed Gatorskin flappers on them before and had them work a couple of times.

welderman

Reaction score
Kohler K-3402 uses excess water

I guess most of you are plumbers and know what I'm going to say, but I searched the web to solve this problem and finally had to figure it out myself. So I though this might be a good place to share. My most recent water usage (6 months) was 5500 cubic feet for my wife and myself and we are rarely home. I traced the leak to the Kohler K-3402, but when I shut off the supply line, I found the tank water level didn't drop. So, it wasn't leaking past the flapper. Upon further investigation I found that the leak was between the plastic hose and the hole in the bowl that Kohler tastefully calls the rim-flush. This space is not meant to be sealed, however, all it takes is for the shut-off to be adjusted slightly over the fill line, and water pours through this gap non-stop. In my case, it amounted to more than 100 gallons/day. The moral of the story is to make sure the level in these toilets never gets above the maximum fill line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks