Kohler Rialto(?) flapper valve replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

AllynLai

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm new to the forum and I have a question about replacing a flapper valve. I have what I believe is a Kohler Rialto:

kohler-rialto-flapper-01.jpg

The problem is that flapper valve isn't sealing consistently and the whole assembly looks like it should be replaced:

kohler-rialto-flapper-02.jpg

kohler-rialto-flapper-03.jpg

Does Korky do a direct replacement for this?

Thanks!

Allyn

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
This is what you want: http://tt.korky.com/product-details.php?product=flapper&num=2010

Your flapper looks like it could probably use to be replaced. To check, you can just turn the water off to the toilet and let it sit for 5 or 6 hours. Then come back and see if the water level in the tank has fallen. If so, change the flapper. You can use a pencil and mark the level that you start with. One thing that I notice from your photos, and it's not entirely clear, is it you appear to have the refill hose stuck down the overflow riser. It looks like you have one plastic clip properly mounted on the overflow riser, and then a rubber hose just shoved in the overflow riser next to it. That can cause a siphon, which will suck the water out of your tank and down the riser. in fact, that might be your leakage issue, rather than the flapper (although that flapper looks pretty nasty). It doesn't always happen, but it does happen pretty often. You are best to attach that rubber hose to the plastic clip so that it sits above the level of the top of the overflow riser. If you shoot us a bigger picture, I can tell you more, but that is the basic idea. That Korky flapper will come with some pretty good instructions on how to replace it. Most of the time, there is absolutely no need to replace the flush valve, just the flapper. The flapper is the wear part, the flush valve is not. Spray some fantastic on the flush valve and rub it with a sponge, and it'll look fine.

That model of Korky flapper is available online at Walmart, and is also available at Lowes. Lowes calls it the 2010pk, rather than 2010BP. Go figure, it's the same part. If you are going to get it at Lowes, check the stock at your store using their online tool before you drive to the store, because its not a super popular part.

Last edited:

AllynLai

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I'm pretty sure the flapper is worn out because the last time it stuck open I had to move it around a bit to
get it to seat correctly. It's gotten worse over the last 6 months. I'll check out the rubber hose. I've never
seen a fill valve that had two hoses coming out like that.

kohler-rialto-flapper.jpg

I wouldn't mind replacing that green gasket because it appears to be disintegrating. I guess it just pops in?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
By the way, you don't have a Rialto, you have a Rosario K-3434. It uses exactly the same flapper on that square flush valve as does the Rialto, however. It is Kohler part no. 83064, which is what the Korky 2010 replaces. I would get the Korky.

The Rialto has a whole different fill valve setup, which is a pain to replace or repair; has a rim flush thingy and such. The Rosario just uses the standard universal Kohler replacement fill valve, GP1138930, which is basically a Fluidmaster 400A, so I'm a little surprised by the two fill hoses. Maybe HJ or someone really knowledgeable would have a clue why yours seems to be set up that way. I don't know what fill valve you have in there -- it's plainly a 400A variant, but since the toilet uses the standard one-hose replacement fill valve, you could replace that with a standard 20-percent-refill Fluidmaster 400A or Korky 528 (the cheapo one with the white top), and have just one fill hose.

As to the gasket, it's Kohler part no. GP83888, which isn't green, so it appears that some work has been done on your toilet since it was installed (which may explain that fill valve). The gasket connects between the flush valve assembly and the tank. If it ain't broke, i.e. not leaking, I wouldn't screw with it. However, if it's leaking and you want to replace it, just Google Kohler 83888 and you'll find it and/or an equivalent offered on a lot of online mechants. I haven't worked on a Rosario, so this is just informed conjecture, but what you do is (turn off the water and drain the tank and) push down on the whole flush valve assembly and turn it 1/3 turn in either direction (I think yours will only turn enough in one direction the way it's in there), then pull the whole assembly and that gasket up and out. Clean the toilet tank floor where it's connecting, clean the requisite area of the flush valve assembly, put the new gasket around the flush valve assembly, put it back in the hole, push down hard and turn it 1/3 turn until it stops. Done. This is easier said than done without issues, though, so unless you're the adventurous type with some time to kill (which I sadly am), I would leave well enough alone if the flapper is the only issue. Me, I would change that fill valve, though, and would probably try a Korky 528 since it's so easy to install.

PS Looking now at your second photo, I can see the 3434 embossed in the tank, but I can't tell which version it is [it would be -AA -AB -BB or -DB], although it is at least since the 1/1/94 implementation nationwide of the 1.6gpf rules -- it has 1.6gpf embossed in it as well...

Last edited:

AllynLai

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the additional info and background info. It will be a few days before I get back to the
apartment to do the repair. If I remember to, I'll post pix of the repair.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the additional info and background info. It will be a few days before I get back to the
apartment to do the repair. If I remember to, I'll post pix of the repair.

Do so. Seeing the result of our help is part of the fun of helping. Also, come back if you have any questions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks