Kohler Pompton low boy toilet. K-3400 PB

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Terry, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Kohler used to make a 9.5 GPF toilet called the Pompton.
    Here are some pictures on one that needs a little TLC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    And the question is? Use a Coast 1B-1X fill valve, (you may have to push its "rim flush" hose inside the Pomptom's existing one to get a good seal. Than just screw a new tank ball, maybe a 3" one, on the lift wire.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Terry

Plumber
    [​IMG]

The K-30668 parts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Cool! But for what it must have cost for Kohler parts and your time, they would doubtless have been able to buy a Soiree.

I'm guessing that they wanted to keep the brown Pompton because they have a brown sink and a brown tub. Or you couldn't sell them on the idea that one didn't need 9.5 gallons to flush a toilet reliably.

6. Terry

Plumber
    They really like the brown color. I couldn't find anything like it. It makes the lav, and goes well with their wall covering.
    They do have a TOTO Drake in the master in Bone.

7. kissiffer4

kissiffer4 New Member

Hi, apologies for responding to an old post, but I happen to have the same toilet (in black) and I am trying to figure out what on earth I can buy to replace the bloomin thing. Preferably in black to match the sink, but this thing is screeching when I flush and I don't want to drop $349 on a new valve kit! Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

8. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Didn't I just reply to a different thread on this issue, with parts that were appropriate and a list and photos of recommendations if you wanted to replace it?

Yeah, here it is: http://www.terrylove.com/forums/ind...eed-some-advice-loud-screeching-toilet.62448/

I gave you (1) a $6 solution if you were going to try to fix that fill valve; (2) a $260 solution (i.e. a new fill valve) from Home Depot, at $100 less than you are still talking about; and (3) several replacement toilets, including in black.

If it's screeching, there is one thing to check: the fill valve. For $6, you can rebuild the plunger assembly, which is probably where the problem is. At least it's worth a try. If you want to replace the fill valve and flush valve, the kit Terry talks about above is the official Kohler parts one that I showed you from Home Depot online, which saved you $100 over anywhere else.

If you want to replace the toilet, there are several good-performing, relatively-low models from Toto in black that will fit the bill...which I linked you to.

So what is the question?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015 at 9:56 PM
  9. kissiffer4

kissiffer4 New Member

Ah, my mistake wjcandee. I didn't receive alerts about the new replies on my other post, so thought the question about alternative toilets was unanswered. Thanks for aaddressing and giving me a few ideas.

10. GoKohlerGo

GoKohlerGo Brand New Plumber

Plumber
    This toilet only flushes 4 gallons...

I installed them when they were new. It has always been listed as a 9.5 gallon toilet.
    Terry

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2015 at 9:22 AM
  11. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Got it. That makes sense. Sorry for being a little huffy. I spent a fair bit of time compiling that stuff for you, so I'm glad it was just an oversight. :)