Kohler K-3400 PB Pompton low boy toilet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Kohler used to make a 9.5 GPF toilet called the Pompton.
Here are some pictures on one that needs a little TLC

pompton_brown_1.jpg

pompton_brown_2.jpg

pompton_brown_3.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
And the question is? Use a Coast 1B-1X fill valve, (you may have to push its "rim flush" hose inside the Pomptom's existing one to get a good seal. Than just screw a new tank ball, maybe a 3" one, on the lift wire.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Cool! But for what it must have cost for Kohler parts and your time, they would doubtless have been able to buy a Soiree.

I'm guessing that they wanted to keep the brown Pompton because they have a brown sink and a brown tub. Or you couldn't sell them on the idea that one didn't need 9.5 gallons to flush a toilet reliably.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They really like the brown color. I couldn't find anything like it. It makes the lav, and goes well with their wall covering.
They do have a TOTO Drake in the master in Bone.

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Hi, apologies for responding to an old post, but I happen to have the same toilet (in black) and I am trying to figure out what on earth I can buy to replace the bloomin thing. Preferably in black to match the sink, but this thing is screeching when I flush and I don't want to drop $349 on a new valve kit! Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Didn't I just reply to a different thread on this issue, with parts that were appropriate and a list and photos of recommendations if you wanted to replace it?

Yeah, here it is: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/novice-need-some-advice-loud-screeching-toilet.62448/

I gave you (1) a $6 solution if you were going to try to fix that fill valve; (2) a $260 solution (i.e. a new fill valve) from Home Depot, at $100 less than you are still talking about; and (3) several replacement toilets, including in black.

If it's screeching, there is one thing to check: the fill valve. For $6, you can rebuild the plunger assembly, which is probably where the problem is. At least it's worth a try. If you want to replace the fill valve and flush valve, the kit Terry talks about above is the official Kohler parts one that I showed you from Home Depot online, which saved you $100 over anywhere else.

If you want to replace the toilet, there are several good-performing, relatively-low models from Toto in black that will fit the bill...which I linked you to.

So what is the question?

Last edited:

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Ah, my mistake wjcandee. I didn't receive alerts about the new replies on my other post, so thought the question about alternative toilets was unanswered. Thanks for aaddressing and giving me a few ideas.

GoKohlerGo

Brand New Plumber
Reaction score
This toilet only flushes 4 gallons...

I installed them when they were new. It has always been listed as a 9.5 gallon toilet.
Terry

Last edited by a moderator:

Katie22

Reaction score
I have a Pompton in my apartment. It always seems to get a dribble coming into the back of the bowl. It used to be there some flushes and not others, but is now pretty constant. I changed out the float and flush ball years ago and that solved the problem for a while.
My question today is about the water level because I read a high water level can cause leaking into the bowl. I checked and the level is a little high. I tried extending the float rod a bit (it was already extended further than in Terry's photos) and I tried turning the adjustment screw (about 3 full clockwise turns) and I don't think it changed the water level (I didn't mark it, but it's still a bit high.) How much turning of the adjustment screw is needed to make a change? Should the bottom of the screw be touching something ? (it's not and I can't see how turning it will do anything.) Also, when I tried these adjustments, just moving the float arm stopped the water from running, so I think more upward force from the float arm will help. The instructions I've seen online say that I should not bend the float arm. TIA!

Reach4

Reaction score
Also, when I tried these adjustments, just moving the float arm stopped the water from running, so I think more upward force from the float arm will help. The instructions I've seen online say that I should not bend the float arm.
I would bend the float arm anyway. Hold the left part of the arm with the left hand, to avoid putting stress on the valve. Bend the rod down with the right hand. I am not a plumber.

Do the bending with little water in the tank so that you are not fighting the ball trying to float.

Raffi Agopian

Reaction score
I have a Pompton in my apartment. It always seems to get a dribble coming into the back of the bowl. It used to be there some flushes and not others, but is now pretty constant. I changed out the float and flush ball years ago and that solved the problem for a while.
My question today is about the water level because I read a high water level can cause leaking into the bowl. I checked and the level is a little high. I tried extending the float rod a bit (it was already extended further than in Terry's photos) and I tried turning the adjustment screw (about 3 full clockwise turns) and I don't think it changed the water level (I didn't mark it, but it's still a bit high.) How much turning of the adjustment screw is needed to make a change? Should the bottom of the screw be touching something ? (it's not and I can't see how turning it will do anything.) Also, when I tried these adjustments, just moving the float arm stopped the water from running, so I think more upward force from the float arm will help. The instructions I've seen online say that I should not bend the float arm. TIA!
Hi. We’re you able to fix the issue ? i have exactly the same problem.
Thanks
Raffi

Tom Sharples

Reaction score
Hi Terry, just came across this old thread because i have a couple of these Pomptons that need rebuilding. Any reason this kit:

kohler-84499-1b1x.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00128GSDC/

wouldn't work just fine instead of the $350 original design kit? Looks to me like main question is whether the flapper seat gasket would hold with the three-screw system instead of the giant wingnut from below(?)

Thanks,

Tom S.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks