Kohler Niedecken shower valve parts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Creek0

Reaction score
Here's a valve that is now leaking and I need parts. Can anyone tell me the manufacturer of this device. They weren't proud enough of it to put their name on it. There is no back access. The shower is pristine and I hate to have to destroy it to install a new valve.

SHOWERvalve.jpg

Valve cover.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The clockwise rotation would usually indicate that is was a Kohler, or a variation/knockoff of it. The body also appears to be like I remember the old ones looking like, but since I cannot find any Kohler valve with that handle, we would need to see the cartridge, or maybe the body behind that plate.

swcooper

Reaction score
Same thing

I've got one of these too, have to crank down really hard on it to get it shut off all the way. I assumed it was a Kohler since all the associated parts (tub spout, handle, etc) are, and it does have hot/cold and 23068 printed on top of the valve body. Mr Google says results for "Kohler 23068" are best when 23068 is the line number in someone's inventory that happens to hit a Kohler part with another number.

IMG_20140410_041813.jpg

Having opened the valve, the "carriage" that sits between the seats/washers and the handle seems totally unwilling to be removed. Since to only thing apparently wrong with it is that it's just hard to shut off, I figure much easier to just replace the washers and should be fine. So...any help with dismantling this thing to get at them would be appreciated.

IMG_20140410_041918.jpgIMG_20140410_041855.jpg

IMG_20140410_041855.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The temperature control pistons slide through the seats, so if they get corrosion below them you have to push/pull it to scrape the corrosion off. The only thing that does not look like Niedecken is the missing screws and springs on top of the bar holding the pistons in place.

niedecken-mark.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

swcooper

Reaction score
The temperature control pistons slide through the seats, so if they get corrosion below them you have to push/pull it to scrape the corrosion off. The only thing that does not look like Niedecken is the missing screws and springs on top of the bar holding the pistons in place.

What I have is pretty much exactly what he had in the video, yoke with slide in parts. The rubber is in poor condition, everything else is reasonable. Gonna take it to Lowes and see if they have the necessary, very difficult to assess from their website if what they're touting as a rebuild kit is in any way appropriate for what I have.

IMG_20140410_154239.jpg

IMG_20140410_154228.jpgIMG_20140410_154239.jpgIMG_20140410_154246.jpgIMG_20140410_154257.jpg
The seats look very good, is it worth it/appropriate even to clean them with a bit of emery though?

IMG_20140410_154228.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks