Kohler memoirs

Users who are viewing this thread

santaschwab

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Kohler Memoirs toilet? It has the ingenium flushing sytem. We are considering this toilet or a Toto Clayton

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I believe that most of the Kohler toilets are using "Ingenium" concept, as are the Cimmarons so fondly referred to in the earlier emails concerning clogging.

Go with Toto but nothing less than the Drake or other G-max Totos.

We have Kohlers and Totos in our large house. If for some strange reason you want do your part to keep the international trade deficit more balanced, the Kohler toilet should be a "comfort height". The Kohler toilets in Comfort Height do flush well. And, for the record, one member of my family can clog a Toto Drake once in a while.

Most Toto's are made in the USA, but after the workers, rents and taxes are paid, profits do go to back to Japan. Should you care?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's hard to buy by origin anymore.

Much of the American Standard (Champion) and Kohler (Cimarron) is made elsewhere. Mainly Mexico.

The Ingenium Memoirs gets 250 on the MaP testing.
That works for some people, but not everyone is happy with them.
If you are much of a paper user, it's something to consider.
If you are easy on toilets, it may work fine.

The toilet below took five full tank flushes for me at a party. The glazing was an issue with sticking.

kohler_memoirs_shepard.jpg

Last edited:
D

dc_homeplumber

The Kohler Cimarron uses "Class Five" flushing technology, as opposed to their models with "Ingenium." Class Five has the 3"+ flush valve, allowing the water to flow more rapidly from tank to bowl. I personally have no experience with Class Five, but research shows the bowl rinse to be insufficient.

Ingenium models swirl the water in the bowl during the flush, presumably to give better bowl rinse, but some tend to think they clog easily.

Contrary to popular opinion, my personal experience with Ingenium toilets from Kohler has been good. You just cannot load it up with a ton of toilet paper. If you tend to use a lot of paper, flush as you go.

santaschwab

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks to everyone for their input. I did a little more research and it looks like there is a difference in flushing power between the single piece and two piece Memoirs with the single piece being much stronger. Does this sound right?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks