Kohler Memoirs Clogs During Hamptons Debauchery

Users who are viewing this thread

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Short story: Douchebag 31-year-old hedge funder rents a 14-bedroom, $20 million Hamptons mansion for the weekend, allegedly to hold a 50-person fundraiser for a pet rescue organization. Actually holds a 1000-person blowout, and destroys the place. His boss is a friend of the owner. Owner's wife calls boss's wife. Douchebag is fired. And then refuses to pay the $27,000 rental fee anyway. House looks (actually "looked") nice. Schwanky.

Page Six article here: http://pagesix.com/2016/07/07/wall-...e-fired/?_ga=1.162625467.689867923.1467974506

hamptons-party.jpg

One photo caught my eye. Of a Kohler Memoirs in a bathroom. Clogged. Apparently the plunger didn't help. Eeeeeew.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
plungers.jpg

That plunger is ok for a sink but it is not much help for a clogged Kohler.

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Weird location/orientation of the toilet

I had noticed that, too. I guess we would have to see the rest of the room to see it in context, but if I am sitting, I am not used to staring at the toilet paper roll right in front of me. One stall I entered in an old-timey office building in Manhattan had the rolls mounted on the inside of the stall door; that was odd. In a house this expensive, this would be even odder. Also imagine stepping around/over the bowl to mount it in that position.

Of course, in the condition it's in, I think the wise move would be to leave the building and go elsewhere.

The owner of Ranger Sewer out there, Danny, once told me that he regularly gets hired by party planners and owners of mansions out there to stand by on premises when they are having big gatherings, and are planning to use the facilities in the house, so that if toilet lines or mains get backed up during the event, they can quickly be restored to operation. It sounded like unusual duty, but then again, it's the Hamptons, and when people want everything to be perfect, it seems like a good possibility that facilities meant to service a family and guests totalling 8-15 people might have difficulty handling 400. And Porta Potties out there would presumably be too declasse. A party planner or owner who thinks of everything could and certainly should give Danny a call if he offers that service, and in that environment, I guess it makes sense.

It would probably also make sense to have the septic system inspected and the mains blown out in advance; a significant expense for most folks but chickenfeed for the Masters of the Universe.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Who trashes a home with a party of 1,000 and then skips on the payment?

It does make sense to have someone on hand to keep the lines flowing. That's a lot of use in one day. At least cell phones are bigger now. People used to flush those down too.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've been at parties, had to wait in line to go to the john. Got in there and the toilet was clogged. There was still a line outside the door. Who's getting the blame for that?

Reach4

Reaction score
I would blame the owners, especially if I were a neighbor. The owners rent this place out regularly on Airbnb. The originally quoted story seemed to imply that this was a one-off rental that they rented out because they were feeling charitable.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Mixed feelings: If the owners have it out on AirBnB, they are doing so, apparently, to maximize profit or to more-tightly-segment the rental periods so that they can use it when they want to while making money from it the rest of the time. Running what is effectively a hotel, then, certainly comes with additional risk. (And expense: you have to clean it between renters.) However, I have to assume that even if the place is booked through AirBnB, there is a specific rental contract that is used that contains restrictions on use, and they vet the proposed renters more than just AirBnB does. If not, they are idiots.

Although the Hamptons have a long history of summer rentals to young people who don't know each other and share a place for the summer (a "summer share" in Hamptons parlance), I have to believe that East Hampton, or wherever this is, has strict rules against operating a hotel without all sorts of permits and required life-safety modifications to the premises. If the owners rented it on AirBnB for less than a month while they weren't there, it's likely to be legally a "hotel". I wouldn't be surprised if the village gets involved and ends this.

If the village doesn't, I have to believe the homeowners' insurer will.

Ultimately, the wrongdoer is the only wrongdoer, but the homeowners opened themselves to this kind of possibility by renting in this manner. It's very typical for homes of this size to be rented from Memorial Day to Labor Day, and there are real estate brokers who specialize in this kind of rental. By the time summer starts in the Hamptons, anyplace decent that is offered at a market rate will have been rented. These owners either wanted to save a broker's commission, make more money, or have a more-complex matrix of rental periods to allow for their own occupancy. Whatever it was, this is a wake-up call as to what the result can be. And the insurer and village are unlikely to let it happen again.

Reach4

Reaction score
Story continues. The rentee was reportedly Omar Amanat, who was just arrested for fraud in a different matter.

Brett Barna just had an interview on CNBC. I think he said they did not even have access inside the house. Omar wanted cash on the spot, and Brett insisted on paying via AirBNB if I understood correctly. Implied Omar was up to something, and that Omar did not have a required permit to rent the house. Said essentially that "news"/tabloid story was not accurate. (punctuation is mine.) Story is developing.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks