Kohler Memoirs 3 Bolt Toilet Tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Waldon

Reaction score
I've been getting conflicting information about how tight the 3 encapsulated bolts should be tightened to the toilet bowl to ensure a watertight seal between the tank and the bowl.
The Kohler Memoirs instructions are very vague. Should the bolts be tightened till the bolt heads are flush with the bottom of the tank?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Typically, on the bottom of the tank, there are some ridges that are designed to become 'feet' for the tank to sit on the bowl. Personally, I like to use a folded piece of paper underneath the tank between it and the bowl, and stop tightening when I feel some friction when trying to remove the paper, but I can still get it out without tearing. You want to make sure you keep the bowl as vertical as you can, and tighten the three bolts evenly, and not crank down on one, then go to another...a turn or two after there's some tension on the sealing gasket on each one in turn until it is down.

Note, ideally, there's enough room between the bottom of the tank and the bowl so that you can use two nuts on each bolt. Tighten the bolt to the tank so it's tight and the seal is made, then use the second nut and washer to anchor the tank to the bowl. On some designs, that would require a thin nut.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I tighten by feel.
There is no way I would trust instructions that say how it should look when tight.
Starting out I broke a few things. I'm less macho now when snugging tanks down.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Experience helps a lot! For those of us where this is a one-time deal, or done very seldom, I've found that the paper as a thickness gauge works. You don't need the tank to be in physical contact - porcelain-porcelain, but you do want it to be close so no significant movement occurs if you lean against it. With temperature variations, things expand/contract, so contact can be problematic. Porcelain is not very elastic, at least in the thickness of a typical tank/bowl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks