Kohler K3397EB toilet replacement or repair

Users who are viewing this thread

suzannaspring

Reaction score
My mom has 3 Kohler toilets, model K-3397 EB. One of them has started running and bubbling continuously. Kohler has told her that the part we need, #84499 (flush valve?), isn't manufactured anymore and she'll have to buy a new toilet. I found an earlier post on this board saying it was possible to repair a Kohler with a rebuild kit. Can you tell us what we need, and if it's available anywhere? Thanks so much. Suzanna Spring

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Did she actually talk to Kohler at 1-800-4-KOHLER?

There website lists K-3397 and its associated parts, but, not the K-3397PB.
I don't know what the differences are myself put I would talk to Kohler at the number above before trashing them.

If they are indeed a "Kohler Orphan" and there are indeed a few of them in the Kohler product line Gary's suggestion of replacing them with Toto Toilets is indeed a very good one. Toto has chosen not to have an extensive line of parts and supports its products well.

I can't imagine why any manufacturer would have 183 different flush valves, 141 different fill valves, 78 different flappers, & 221 trip levers. With almost all of them being some kind of Rube Goldberg proprietary design there is no one including Kohler itself that skocks them all.

IMHO Kohler is a nightmare for parts! Every other manufacturer manages to use mostly generic parts and the few proprietary parts that are readily available. What's Kohlers problem?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The 84499 is listed as "1B1X conversion kit." Per the parts diagram for the K-3397 this includes the fill valve and the flush valve. You can get replacement San Raphael flappers, and I am pretty sure that you can get a Coast 1B1X ballcock and retrofit that in.

I don't know what the "EB" in your model is, and whether that is a variant that rules out what I mentioned above.

In some cases in the past, when Kohler has discontinued supporting a toilet...unoffically a "recall", they would provide some sort of voucher towards purchase of a new model. Why not ask them about that.

suzannaspring

Reaction score
Kohler Toilet repair

Thanks so much for the info. My mom did talk to Kohler at the 800 number--She was told there are (I am not kidding) 12,000 other customers in line ahead of her waiting for this replacement part for this particular toilet, and that the company who made the part #84499 has gone out of business.
I think the EB in the toilet model name means "Elongated Bowl."

Again, much appreciated. S

KFOR84499.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You may be starting to understand why so many of the professional plumbers that frequent this forum stay away from Kohler. Sadly, there are other well known brands that are not any better and are relying on their well known name and the fact the the average person is unaware of the decline in quality the these former great brands.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Toilet

I replace the fill valve with the Coast 1B-1-X and the flapper with a Korky from HD. You cut off the Kohler plastic rim flush pipe and insert the Coast one into it after it is cut to size.

coast_1b1x.jpg

greg hodge

Reaction score
If the flapper keeps leaking

Thanks so much for the info. My mom did talk to Kohler at the 800 number--She was told there are (I am not kidding) 12,000 other customers in line ahead of her waiting for this replacement part for this particular toilet, and that the company who made the part #84499 has gone out of business.
I think the EB in the toilet model name means "Elongated Bowl."

Again, much appreciated. S

Grigg Industries Kohler 84499 Rebuild Kit In Stock
I purchased the Grigg 84499 rebuild kit and after a few days, it began to leak again. The problem was the red -one flapper fits all - that they send with the kit. The round protrusion on the bottom of the flapper is too small and over time, it allows the flapper to offset itself in the drain hole to the point where water starts to leak around the edge of the flapper. To cure this, I just placed a 1/4 " bead of silicon caulk around the edge of the protrusion at the bottom of the flapper. This stopped the flapper from offsetting itself and completely cured the leak. Simple, free, and it works!!!!!!

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
She was told there are (I am not kidding) 12,000 other customers in line ahead of her waiting for this replacement part for this particular toilet, and that the company who made the part #84499 has gone out of business.

Great I have 4 on order, guess I'm not getting them.

Thanks for the information i will have to call today.

Em767

Reaction score
Kohler K3397EB toilet replacement

I have two Kohler K3397EB toilets that are no longer operational and i need to replace both of them.
Unfortunately the toilets match the tiles that the bathroom was build with and with the Sinks. Are there any toilets out there that I can buy with the same or approximate color as the k3397? I do realize that these toilets are discontinued and the replacement parts are a hassle to mess with. Thanks in advance for your help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I woule NOT replace those toilets, especially if they are in upstairs bathrooms. Repairing and maintaining them is only slightly different than a conventional one, unless yours have the pressure flush mechanism. The hassle comes in if you try to use Kohler OEM parts, which I never do.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Those parts are too expensive. A Coast 1B1X fill valve and a Korky flapper will restore it to proper operation, IF they are installed properly.

attachment.php

Em767

Reaction score
Hi Terry and HJ.
I have considered the 1B1X kit and also have changed the flappers. The fill valves are now bubbling and these toilets being that they were installed in the 1990s, all of the parts are visibly worn. They are also spending lots of water and the pressure is no longer there. I'm thinking I can easily get Home Depot Kohler $200+ toilets that can end my headaches and huge water bill. However the color has become an issue. Any idea of where i can find something with a similar color online? The last two digits are 97 and i think its timberland but just need to make sure.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You really want to buy another Kohler toilet after what you've gone through? Glutton for punishment. There are other toilets that work better and you can get parts for easily.

qaviar

Reaction score
Hi Terry and HJ.
I have considered the 1B1X kit and also have changed the flappers. The fill valves are now bubbling and these toilets being that they were installed in the 1990s, all of the parts are visibly worn. They are also spending lots of water and the pressure is no longer there. Im thinking I can easily get Home Depot Kohler $200+ toilets that can end my headaches and huge water bill. However the color has become an issue. Any idea of where i can find something with a similar color online? The last two digits are 97 and i think its timberland but just need to make sure.

Hi,
I bought the Costa 1B1X plastic component at Lowe's for $8.74 plus tax and a Korky flap for little over $5. Believe it or not the whole thing works great, no leaks whatever. I was ready to scrap my old San Raphael, last time I replaced the same components on another one I had the replacement (brass) was over $100 with tax.
G'lck
Colors: http://www.guillens.com/kohler/KohlerColor_Finish (2).htm

Rick Roush

Reaction score
Home depot also has an adjustable replacement kit with everything but the flapper that is short enough to fit . I have a 3397 Raphel toilet by Kohler with these parts it and it works like new

BobW

Reaction score
How do you cut the hard plastic rim fill piece and make it fit the Coast 1B 1X fill valve?

Thanks, BobW

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks