Kohler Cimmaron losing water in tank. Help!!

Users who are viewing this thread

tlong_66

Reaction score
Ok i have a problem and really need help. I have a Kohler Cimmaron that i have had for a year or so now. Up until a couple of weeks ago it worked fine with no problems. Now somehow water is leaving the tank and the fill valve keeps coming on to refill the tank. I shut the water supply off and you can definately see the water level drop. There is no water leakingfrom the water supply/ fill valve connection. There is no water leaking from the tank/bowl. There is no sign of leaking at the base of the toilet either. I ordered and installed a new Kohler flush valve withou any change. It can't possibly be the fill valve can it (like the float)? I'm no expert on toilets but have fixed and installed a few in my time but never faced this situation. I mean there are only so many ways for the water to leave the tank and with no signs of leakage anywhere i am stumped. Can anyone offer any advice?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's the flapper. It is either worn out or has something preventing it from sealing. Try cleaning the flapper itself and the seat where it drops.

tlong_66

Reaction score
It's the flapper. It is either worn out or has something preventing it from sealing. Try cleaning the flapper itself and the seat where it drops.

Gary i did that first before buying the replacement valve. I read the instructions for troubleshooting the problem. I cleaned around the seal, adjusted chain to make sure it was properly seated after flushing and tried adjusting the fill valve all with no luck. It also not a traditional "flapper" but a cannister style. The flush valve on there right now is brand new and i examined it carefully before installing.

tlong_66

Reaction score
Drop a bit of dye into the top of the tank and watch where it goes. It should head toward your leak.

Ok so this is what i have done in my investigation of the problem. I flushed the toilet as normal and by that i mean with the tube sticking down the over flow. In about five minutes the water level drops enough for the fill valve to operate and refill the tank. I did this a few times to verify what it was doing. I then put dye in the tank and flushed. The result was the dye showing up in the bowl. Please remember that this is the same result as the old flush valve. So i decided to try something else. I took the fill tube out of the over flow ad just let it hang in the tank after filling. When i did this and waited for awhile i saw no leak even after hours there was no drop in the water level in the tank. So what do i do now?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks