Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The flush valve?

Darn,
The first thing we normally check is the flapper or flush valve.
If that's leaking, then of course the fill valve is going to keep topping off the tank.

The slight drip as it nears the shuoff point, is part of the anti-siphon, and is nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
The video shows water squirting out of the top of the fill valve, which looks a little strange. Not the normal place for the fill valve to release water. Maybe very high water pressure or a faulty fill valve? But if a new flapper fixes the problem - that's great to know ...

Lots to Learn

Reaction score
Oh goody, now I get to learn all about repairing/replacing the flapper and/or the flush valve. Which was the main problem with the toilet I pulled.

But before I get to that, I'm going to see about changing my order for two K-11456 toilets (that I picked out with my hypothetical credit for this toilet) to a couple of Totos.

I do have to give credit to Kohler for very promptly crediting the cost of this ($500) toilet when we discovered the glaze flaw (which was staring back up at us when we opened the box) which is why I ordered two more Kohlers, but this new flusher/flapper issue is dissolving my resolve to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Lots to Learn

Reaction score
Here's where I'm at: The water level recedes to the interface of the flapper and the rim of the flush valve. The flapper has no flaws that I can see, nor does the rim. So I can't figure out where it is not sealing/why it is leaking. I note that the inside of the flush valve feels gritty, so I tried to wipe everything in case debris was impeding the seal. Didn't work. And it still feels gritty.

I know I could first try replacing the flapper, but I really don't see a problem with it, and I'd like very much to pinpoint the source of the problem. Ultimately will I have to replace the entire (new) flush valve assembly anyway?

If anyone can suggest further tests I can do or things to look for I'd be grateful.

BTW I changed my order from two K-11456s to two Toto Drakes with CEFIONTECT-- can I get an amen?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
BTW I changed my order from two K-11456s to two Toto Drakes with CEFIONTECT-- can I get an amen?
Amen!

I note that the inside of the flush valve feels gritty, so I tried to wipe everything in case debris was impeding the seal. Didn't work. And it still feels gritty.
On the repair, I would try the flapper first.

The inside of the flush valve?
The inside won't matter, but the face where it seals will matter.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The seat where the flapper valve seals should be smooth. I can't see it sealing, regardless of the flapper valve if it is gritty; the rubber just isn't that flexible. That, to me anyways, is a factory defect. Now, not being there and feeling it myself, I may be off course here.

Lots to Learn

Reaction score
Finally, closure (literally & figuratively)

Here's what solved the running toilet problem. It has this adjustable float body that I don't quite understand. If anyone who is familiar with these would care to explain that, that would be great!

fluidmaster 5403.jpg
5403_Package_LR.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The factory flapper valve is calibrated to close after the designated amount of water runs down the drain. Keep in mind that each toilet is a little different. The water used to flush consists of both that in the tank, and what's in the bowl. So, you need a means on a generic replacement to calibrate how much water gets dumped before the flapper drops down to close it off won't be at the same tank level (since each bowl gets refilled separately). Essentially none of the new toilets empty the tank when you flush. the adjustable part lets you make it close faster or slower. Now, getting it set to close at the manufacturer's specified level may take some trial and error. Too quick, lousy flush. Too slow, waste a bunch of water each time.

stretch

Reaction score
WOW!!! I bought the same toilet (k-3489) and the exact same thing happened to mine. It was so annoying hearing the water running ever 30 minutes. Suprisingly somehow it was the flapper that caused the problem on mine as well. I also had an issue with how terrible the toilet was at cleaning the bowl. Kohler has given me a voucher/credit for another toilet but I don't want a Kohler toitet. Has anyone had any experience with the K-11456. Consumerreports rated it pretty well but who knows...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Virtually every toilet CR rates highly proves to be dog and is frequently discontinued fairly soon after.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
WOW!!! I bought the same toilet (k-3489) and the exact same thing happened to mine. It was so annoying hearing the water running ever 30 minutes. Suprisingly somehow it was the flapper that caused the problem on mine as well. I also had an issue with how terrible the toilet was at cleaning the bowl

CR likes the Cimarron and the Gerber Ultraflush.
Between those two toilets, they got nine listings on their report.
I have a hard time selling either.

The TOTO Dalton sells for less then the Cimarron, and works better.
The Toto Drake works even better then that.
The Dual flush Gerber quits after six months.

If the toilet is a Cimarron, it's a Cimarron. They have tons of numbers for the Cimarron.

heymatey

Reaction score
We like our Class 6 Cimarron

Admittedly it's only been 3 or 4 months, but our Class 6 Cimarron has been great: easy to install (love that the tank bolts don't go through the tank itself, which eliminates a major leak spot), amazing flush performance for the water used, nice water spot, quiet and attractive.

Wish there was a way of seeing a toilet "in-person, in action" before buying. Totos are hard to find around here (Southwest CT) for some reason, and the baffling array of choices for the Drake alone is ridiculous!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes Heymatey,
In America some hate choices. At least a Friend of mine from the Czech Republic complained about choices in America too.
She wished she was back home, where you didn't have to decide what to have for lunch.
You would go to the cafeteria and the meal would have been prepared.
She said all these "choices" tired her out.
Yeah, real bummer having choices for some people.
But some people do like the choice to buy American. You can still do that with Toto.
1/3 of the Toto I sell is made in the USA, it's nice to have choice.

CR lists the Cimarron five times on their report, is that too many of the same toilet to list?
You can get the Cimarron in two boxes, or in one box, that makes two Cimarrons right there.
Then you can get round, wow! another choice right there. How 'bout elongated, wow! another one, it's getting to be too much for some Americans to handle. At least they make them in Mexico.

Me, I love that we have choice in America.
That's why many left Europe and it's traditions for a life with more opportunity and choice.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
www.stayhotbathtubs.com
Yes Heymatey,
In America some hate choices. At least a Friend of mine from the Czech Republic complained about choices in American too.
She wished she was back home, where you didn't have to decide what to have for lunch.
You would go to the cafeteria and the meal would have been prepared.
She said all these "choices" tired her out.
Yeah, real bummer having choices for some people.
But some people do like the choice to buy American. You can still do that with Toto.
1/3 of the Toto I sell is made in the USA, it's nice to have choice.

CR lists the Cimarron five times on their report, is that too many of the same toilet to list?
You can get the Cimarron in two boxes, or in one box, that makes two Cimarrons right there.
Then you can get round, wow! another choice right there. How 'bout elongated, wow! another one, it's getting to be too much for some Americans to handle. At least they make them in Mexico.

Me, I love that we have choice in America.
That's why many have left Europe and it's traditions for a life with more opportunity and choice.

My snark-meter just exploded on this post. :D

associatebroker

Reaction score
Kohler Cimarron 1.28 to 1.6 GPF Conversion. Possible?

I just purchased 3 Cimarron class 6 toilets, and after installation, discovered that the 1.28 gpf seems dismal compared to the 1.6 gpf toilets replaced. Yes, if I hold the handle down, the toilet flushes with the desired force, but I'd rather just press the handle normally.

Does anyone know of a down and dirty conversion that will give me a full 1.6 flush with the 1.28 model? There just has to be a way to make the canister stay open longer... automatically.

Watch out for Lowe's salespeople too. I was told explicitly that the Cimarron class six would allow me to adjust between 1.28 and 1.6 gpf. Apparently he meant by adjusting the time one must hold the handle down!

Thanks!

cpalady

Reaction score
I've had the Cimmaron for 4 months now, and I have mixed feelings about it's performance.

The Cimmaron has no problem swallowing the charmin or the Pampers, altho it does have a major issue with the bowl.
-E

Please tell me you really don't flush pampers down the toilet.

robertco

Reaction score
We installed this Series 5 toilet a few yrs. ago, after seeing the commercial on TV. For the first few flushes, it did do better (didn't clog) than standard toilets. It utiliizes larger tank and bowl waste removal holes to get the job done. However we discovered that, within a few wks., it began clogging up just like the old toilet. But, when this toilet clogs, it's considerably harder to clear. A plunger rarely works. We usually have to use an electric "snake" to clear it.
Also, the water just flushes in one big, straight "clug", but does not swirl for a few seconds (as in a standard toilet) to pick up any waste matter and toilet paper that maybe have become lodged on the sides of the bowl. With this toilet, after the flush, they are left behind and won't be picked up by future swirling water cycles without your "help". We thought it would be great, but we feel that this toilet does not perform as the commercial indicates. Our recommendation is that you research/try some other brand, or stick with what you have.

jacksmith7

Reaction score
I just purchased 3 Cimarron class 6 toilets, and after installation, discovered that the 1.28 gpf seems dismal compared to the 1.6 gpf toilets replaced. Yes, if I hold the handle down, the toilet flushes with the desired force, but I'd rather just press the handle normally.

Does anyone know of a down and dirty conversion that will give me a full 1.6 flush with the 1.28 model? There just has to be a way to make the canister stay open longer... automatically.

Watch out for Lowe's salespeople too. I was told explicitly that the Cimarron class six would allow me to adjust between 1.28 and 1.6 gpf. Apparently he meant by adjusting the time one must hold the handle down!

Thanks!

I have the same issue with the Cimarron 1.28 I just installed. If it cannot be adjusted, can the flushing mechanism be replaced with one from the 1.6 Cimarron?

Mike2187

Reaction score
I have had no clogs with the kohler cimmaron. You can flush half a roll of toilet paper down that thing with half of a used pizza and still no clogs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks