Kohler Cimarron leaks from tank connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Harriet H

Reaction score
We just installed a new Kohler Cimarron and it has a slow leak where the tank connects to the base. We took it apart 3 times and reconnected to make sure it's seated correctly. We called Kohler and they sent us a replacement kit for the tank connection. It still leaks! Please tell me what we could be missing before we rip it out and install a not-Kohler toilet!

cimarron-round-1.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally it's just a matter of making sure everything is clean.
No putty, no caulking.
I sometimes check smoothness and use some emory cloth on the china if I feel rough spots.

If you have a flexible supply to the tank, make sure you have no tape on the threads. Those will come with seals at both ends.
New toilet, new flex connector.

k-3999_8.jpg

Last edited:

Harriet H

Reaction score
Thanks. We gave up and installed a Toto. Got our money back from Kohler. It appeared that the porcelain hole was defective and even if we could get it to stop leaking, it would always be a concern and something to keep checking. We're very happy with the Toto!

Jim Gallanis

Reaction score
I recently purchased and installed a Kohler Cimarron with the Drylock system. Once I got it all installed and added water to the tank, the water flowed out of the tank as though there were no gaskets. Seems the Flush Valve inside the tank is loose and the leak is from the between the valve and the procelain. I tried to remove the hex nut that holds the assembly in place but it won't budge - I'm thinking it may have been put on skewed and is now stripped. Kohler is sending me parts but since I cannot remove the nut (without maybe cutting it) I'm not sure if that will help or not. Is the flush valve supposed to be flush and tight against the porcelain? should the drylock plate be loose like it is? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
k-3887_5.jpg

It should be snug. It might be a cross thread that you're dealing with. If they're sending new parts, you may be able to saw off the nut below and put the new parts together.

Last edited:

Jon Taylor

Reaction score
FYI, just had this same problem but I was able to find the issue. The black bracket is movable on the tank. If you loosen up the large tank nut, you can move the bracket front or back. Move the bracket in the opposite direction of the leak and then retighten.... mount the tank and it will be

Damon Swope

Reaction score
FYI, just had this same problem but I was able to find the issue. The black bracket is movable on the tank. If you loosen up the large tank nut, you can move the bracket front or back. Move the bracket in the opposite direction of the leak and then retighten.... mount the tank and it will be
How do you get that large tank nut off? I am going to try to just a large bead of silicon around it on the inside, the cylinder sits high enough that it won't interfere with the flapper seal.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How do you get that large tank nut off? I am going to try to just a large bead of silicon around it on the inside, the cylinder sits high enough that it won't interfere with the flapper seal.

Large pliers will get the flush valve nut off.
Check for smoothness on the inside of the tank, and a new seal between tank and flush valve.
Bigger than these though.

channel-lock-pliers.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks