Kohler Cimarron (Class 5) vs TOTO Drake 1.6 (G-MAX)

Users who are viewing this thread

Starwarsith88

Reporter
Reaction score
So I have heard from many people that they are not sure to get the Kohler or the TOTO. In my opinion. My grandparents have a newly installed Kohler Cimarron Class 5 and I have to say it is a great toilet. It stays clean, also the positive side to the Cimarron is that it has the Aquapiston (Canister) inside the toilet tank which means no flapper. I like the seal better on the aquapiston. One negative is you have to be careful when installing a new fill valve on a Kohler toilet like a Cimarron. MAKE SURE YOU KEEP THE HOSE OF THE OLD FILL VALVE FOR THE NEW ONE! Anyways, now to the TOTO. The TOTO is a great performing toilet as well. The positive is that the fill valves that tend to come with TOTO are much better and most in-tank parts are made in USA. Also some TOTO Drakes can be made in America. Mine is made in China and when we bought the house the 2 of them were made in 2005 and 1 from 2004. Also, I replaced the fill valve a few months ago with a Korky 528T (old fill valve was a fluidmaster 400a) and 2 of the fill valves were replaced. One of the TOTO's had a Fluidmaster PRO-45 and the fill valve was SLOW. The new ones are much better and I have to say far better quality. Anyway, here are the videos of the 2 toilets in action (Both are my videos). Also the Cimarron replaced a Kohler Wellworth with an ingenium flush system. Please comment your opinion down below!

Last edited by a moderator:

GoKohlerGo

Brand New Plumber
Reaction score
So I have heard from many people that they are not sure to get the Kohler or the TOTO. In my opinion. My grandparents have a newly installed Kohler Cimarron Class 5 and I have to say it is a great toilet. It stays clean, also the positive side to the Cimarron is that it has the Aquapiston (Canister) inside the toilet tank which means no flapper. I like the seal better on the aquapiston. One negative is you have to be careful when installing a new fill valve on a Kohler toilet like a Cimarron. MAKE SURE YOU KEEP THE HOSE OF THE OLD FILL VALVE FOR THE NEW ONE! Anyways, now to the TOTO. The TOTO is a great performing toilet as well. The positive is that the fill valves that tend to come with TOTO are much better and most in-tank parts are made in USA. Also some TOTO Drakes can be made in America. Mine is made in China and when we bought the house the 2 of them were made in 2005 and 1 from 2004. Also, I replaced the fill valve a few months ago with a Korky 528T (old fill valve was a fluidmaster 400a) and 2 of the fill valves were replaced. One of the TOTO's had a Fluidmaster PRO-45 and the fill valve was SLOW. The new ones are much better and I have to say far better quality. Anyway, here are the videos of the 2 toilets in action (Both are my videos). Also the Cimarron replaced a Kohler Wellworth with an ingenium flush system. Please comment your opinion down below!

Now, this is just my opinion, others may disagree, but I'd go for the Cimarron. When people say that "The parts are made in the USA" and they think it is an advantage I really don't get it. I think parts made in other countries are of equal quality. I agree that the tower is an advantage over the flapper on the Toto, because it opens and the water comes in at 360 degrees, with no blockage on the side where the flapper it attached. The new Class 5's do have better bowl wash, covering the side that it used to miss all the time.

So yeah, that is just my opinion on those toilets.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, a lot of people will disagree. Mr. Go Kohler does not like Toto for some reason or another and takes every opportunity like your question, to promote the Kohler brand. The Drake 1.6 is a proven high quality model toilet. As I understand it, the Drake 1.6 was originally intended for commercial use, but was quickly accepted for residential use. It was the pride of the fleet for sometime. Now, there are newer models that use less water, and give more options for styling, but it is still an exceptional value. (And, it's not a bad looker either.)

GoKohlerGo

Brand New Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, a lot of people will disagree. Mr. Go Kohler does not like Toto for some reason or another and takes every opportunity like your question, to promote the Kohler brand. The Drake 1.6 is a proven high quality model toilet. As I understand it, the Drake 1.6 was originally intended for commercial use, but was quickly accepted for residential use. It was the pride of the fleet for sometime. Now, there are newer models that use less water, and give more options for styling, but it is still an exceptional value. (And, it's not a bad looker either.)
The Kohler brand is equal, if not better in quality than toto. Starwarsith88 already has a Cimarron and he loves it. Yes, the Drake is a good toilet, but I feel that Kohler is better.

Last edited:

Starwarsith88

Reporter
Reaction score
My mom has been much happier with the TOTO. I like both but she had to flush the Kohler 2-4 times or something like that to get the waste to go down. I didn't have that problem though. But I have had the problem with the TOTO but it was usually take it down in 1 flush.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks