Kohler Cayuga wall-mount toilet with cracked tank

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by jeffsmith99, Dec 27, 2005.

1. jeffsmith99

jeffsmith99 New Member

I have a white Kohler Cayuga wall-mount toilet from the 1970's in my walk-out basement (model K3440) and the tank is cracked in two places quite badly. I cannot find a replacement tank anywhere. P/N K4509 Kohler discontinued them long ago.

I thought about trying to patch the crack, but then it got another one and I don't think that would be a good idea. It was suggested to replumb the room to use a floor model, but that seems like an expensive solution since it is a cement floor and all the plumbing is in the wall etc.

I did find an Avocado color salvage tank for $425 but it seems like there should be another option.

What would be the best wayto solve my problem? Is there a toilet of current or recent vintage from any manufacturer that will bolt on the wall in the same place as my current one without major plumbing work? Or is there a similar model that uses a compatable tank that would be easier to find?

Thank you for the input!

Jeff in Michigan
  2. Seems like the simplest solution would be to get the green tank and have it reglazed in whatever color you need. Since it's a wall mount and you're only dealing with the tank and I'm assuming its cover, I would think that that would not be cost prohibitive. I would definitely also spend another $12 or so and put all new guts in the replacement tank.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

When the low flush law went into effect, any compatibility between new tank/old bowl ..or vice versa.... went out the window. Bolt hole patterns changed, as did trapway sizes. New tank probably would not flush an old bowl. Best bet is to get a new wall mount toilet-complete set.
  4. OUCH!!! I just re-read the original post and noticed the price on the used green tank.

As noted earlier, at that kind of expense, you're probably better off going with an entirely new toilet. There doesn't seem to be an inexpensive fix for your problem.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I think the best bet will be new.

There aren't many options.

American Standard Glenwall, with pressure assist

Crane Rexmont gravity model.

Both of these have the elongated bowl.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  6. jeffsmith99

jeffsmith99 New Member

Wall Mount Toilet Dilema - Solved

Crane Rexmont
    Eljer Wallford
    American Standard Glenwall

We will end up with one of these wall-mount toilets for $300-$500 I guess. They all seem to have the same bolt-pattern and I assume that they have the same as my existing Kohler Cayuga - although I cannot find the specs for it. (Guess I could get out a tape measure and just measure it.)

Thank you for your assistance. I had was told by my local plumbing supply that there were no residential wall mount toilets being manufactured any longer and that I would have to get one from salvage.

Now we will go shopping - for a New one!

Have a great day!

Jeff