Kohler cast iron tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Just1

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm getting ready to tile the floor in my new bathroom and I have a question regarding the Kohler cast iron tub apron. The room was squared up and walls plumbed before the drywall and cement board went up and the tub was installed tight to the studs. Now that I am measuring and cutting the tiles to fit next to the apron I'm noticing that I have to cut most of them on a slight angle to follow the tub with a consistent caulk gap. Is it possible that the tub is not 100% square or true? Thanks in advance.

Just1

Reaction score
More likely that the floor was out of level. I normally check that with a level first, and make sure I'm installing the tub level.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/installing-a-kohler-villager-cast-iron-tub.33212/
Terry thanks for the quick reply. I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say though. The tub is installed level from front to back and side to side. I'm referring to the floor tiles that butt up to the front skirt or apron of the tub. Not the tub flange or tub ledge. In other words if I measure from the drain side of the tub to the wall across from it I get a number and when I measure the other side of the tub (non drain side) to the wall across from it I get a number that is 3/8" more.

Last edited:

Just1

Reaction score
I have worked in a lot of places, and not one was perfectly square.
Ok so I just measured from end to end the long wall the tub is against to the wall directly across and parallel to it. The measurements are within a 16th so it does seem like the room is pretty square.

MKS

Reaction score
It sounds like the two walls are not parallel. If you haven't already installed tiles you can decided where to hide the error.

Just1

Reaction score
It sounds like the two walls are not parallel. If you haven't already installed tiles you can decided where to hide the error.
The walls are parallel. They are only off by a 16th of an inch in 7 feet. I would say that's pretty square.

MKS

Reaction score
So pull the tub and measure it up or determine what site lines are important to the overall tile installation and forget about square plumb and parallel.

Just1

Reaction score
So pull the tub and measure it up or determine what site lines are important to the overall tile installation and forget about square plumb and parallel.
No reason to pull the tub at this point. Walls are up and waterproofed. The tub was installed tight to the studs and it's completely level. I was told by one of the employees at the plumbing supply that cast iron tubs are rarely perfectly square. I was just wondering if you guys agree with that.

MKS

Reaction score
Part of the finishers job, floor, trim, is to make the out of plumb, square, parallel stuff disappear. Make it pleasing to the eye not measuring devices.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet that the problem is in the way you laid the tiles (which are not all the same size, even if they look the same).

Just1

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet that the problem is in the way you laid the tiles (which are not all the same size, even if they look the same).
You have a good point. The tiles are close but not perfect because they aren't rectified.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally you would center the tile in the room, making the cuts at the four walls.
I would never expect to be able to lay a floor without cutting tile.

Just1

Reaction score
Normally you would center the tile in the room, making the cuts at the four walls.
I would never expect to be able to lay a floor without cutting tile.
Who said anything about not cutting tile?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks