Kohler Archer Exocrylic tub problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Sennit

Reaction score
Bathroom gut renovation currently taking place. The plumber just installed a Kohler Archer 66 inch by 32 inch three wall alcove tub (Exocrylic). He set it on cement. The bottom of the tub feels solid. One of the inside side walls can, with little exertion, be pushed in. The opposite wall also has some play in it. It squeaks when one sits on the edge. The tub seems very flimsy (paid close to $900). I am thinking about halting the project, removing the tub, and looking for a more substantial one. Does anyone have the Kohler Archer 66" by 32" Exocrylic tub installed? If so, can the side walls be pushed in? The contractor who will be grouting the tub and laying the tile is concerned that the grout and tile will come loose given the amount of movement that currently exists. Thoughts anyone? Thanks....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That type of tub will never be as sturdy as a cast iron one. FWIW, industry standards call for the joint between the tub and the tile to be caulked, not grouted. Making that seam nice and waterproof requires care as well. Do the installation instructions call for ledger board(s)? If so, were they installed during the tub install? SOme of the tubs call for the tub flange to be anchored to the stud walls. Some methods work better than others. IF the tub has gaps to the studs, you probably want to put in some shims and then anchor the tub so you can't move it.

Sennit

Reaction score
That type of tub will never be as sturdy as a cast iron one. FWIW, industry standards call for the joint between the tub and the tile to be caulked, not grouted. Making that seam nice and waterproof requires care as well. Do the installation instructions call for ledger board(s)? If so, were they installed during the tub install? SOme of the tubs call for the tub flange to be anchored to the stud walls. Some methods work better than others. IF the tub has gaps to the studs, you probably want to put in some shims and then anchor the tub so you can't move it.
Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. The tub flange is anchored to the stud walls. The tub is securely anchored, no movement with the tub as a unit. My biggest concern is that I can push on the side walls and they move. Will this be a problem over time? Will the tub crack? Is Exocrylic a durable material? I have never experienced a tub with such a soft and flexible interior. I will be having some pricy tiles put on the floor and bath/shower walls and I don't want to have a tub problem down the road. Thank again for any input.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it were the floor of the tub that flexed, it would be an issue. Over time, with the weight of the water and people walking in there, you'd likely get stress cracks. On the sidewalls, most of them can be flexed, but I've not dealt with a huge number of them to tell you if it is 'too' much.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks