Kohler antique faucet leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

cynthia garner

Reaction score
And I am trying to replace the seats. I got as far as this and now I can't get anything to budge. How do I remove the stem?

faucet handle.jpg

cynthia garner

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I just tried that again based on your suggest. It is moving the whole mechanism, including twisting the silver piping/tubing/whatever under the sink.. sounded kinda bad and scared me. I checked under the sink and it was pretty twisted.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Anytime you put a wrench on something, it needs to be "backed"
Some of the 8" faucets are pretty loosey goosey on the counters.

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did you try turning the stem with the handle in whatever direction it will turn? You might be bottoming the washer against the seat. Then unscrew the body the rest of the way. Do the same thing when assembling.

cynthia garner

Reaction score
Thanks. The saga continues.
I don't know what you mean by backed, Terry. I am just a mom trying to figure out what I thought was going to be a rather simple repair. Talk about feeling like a failure when you can't even get the handle off. I feel silly.

I sent the picture to Kohler and they said it is corroded and stuck and to soak it in vinegar.

I tried the handle suggestion Koa, but the only thing it seems to turn is the handle and the long stem piece and not a full 360 degrees. I will keep trying...so anything else you guys can think of will be appreciated.

Should I try moving something from under the sink??

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
To back means to grip or hold the other side. Sometimes this becomes a two person job, with one sticking their head and arms below and hold the lower part of the faucet with pliers or a wrench.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks