Kohler Angle Stops - Kohler Quality

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by chefwong, Apr 23, 2013.

1. chefwong

chefwong Member

I've always used Kohler Angle Stops in exposed applications.
    While 1/4 ball valves are the new thing, I've preferred the Kohler for a aesthetics value...

Just got some in. All nice sealed boxes.
    Is it me, or has quality gone downhill. There are nicks-not smooth chrome on both the included chrome nipples and risers.
    The valve body seems OKAY.

However, compared to prior purchased, the finishes on everything was FLAWLESS....
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

And you really think Kohler is making their own angle stops?
  3. chefwong

chefwong Member

Maybe it's not made by them but subbed out - but I've yet to come across another angle stop that loops like them...in both fit and finish....
    Regardless, someone/somebody is accountable for QC
    I also use their heavy cast brass chromed p trap on exposed applications....
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

5. hj

quote; I also use their heavy cast brass chromed p trap on exposed applications.

Anyone who uses Kohler's traps and angle stops, must have a printing press in the basement where they make their own money.
  6. chefwong

chefwong Member

Dahl IMO makes the best shutoffs and I use them in *non exposed* applications - sink cabs.
    They're 1/4 turn and Canadian *North American* made.

I'll grab a pic of the two side by side.

The Kohler is more a beauty pagent valve, aka. - my preferred unit for Exposed Applications.

As far as *cost* is concerned, it's all relative in the grand scheme of things .......so to have a $$ valve or P trap.....that I can notice the aesthetic difference....then it's not that expensive to me........

The post was just to clarify if anyone has seen the decline in the QC with this particular lineup.
    I have 3 boxes, all with sh1tty, nicked chrome fittings. Nicked as in nicked with the chrome layer ontop. So it was *nicked* during production.
    For the $, I don't think expect this.
    And previous purchases of said LIKE item, the quality of every piece down to the riser tubes were flawless.
  7. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

Nah, the Chef lives near the Treasury department; maybe they give out samples?
  8. hj

quote; Nah, the Chef lives near the Treasury department; maybe they give out samples?

More likely he has a tunnel from his basement to theirs.
  9. chefwong

chefwong Member

what's the saying, fashion versus function

[​IMG]

Jim, the top is the Dahl
  10. hj

And the bottom one needs a 3/8" chrome nipple and to make it look correct, the adapter elbow has to be the proper distance back in the wall. I haven't used a "screw on stop" for over 50 years, and even then they were 1/2" ips versions. In other words, I have NEVER used a 3/8" ips stop, period. The Kohler ones that come with toilets go directly to the scrap barrel. It looks like they gave you one with a "hammered" finish.
  11. chefwong

chefwong Member

Got a full Kohler tub/shower valve kit in. There is a indent UNDER the chrome with the chrome finish ontop of it.
    The box for the sink faucet shows that the drain was made offshore.

Not sure on the COO on the rest of the hardware...but I suppose these *defects* in finish is not just isolated to their angle supply stops..

I see production date stampings but nary to nil on the box or inside any sticker on COO of what is made where...
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
  12. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

While Kohler makes some stuff in the USA, the fact that they do have a factory here is no guarantee of where their branded stuff is actually made.
  13. chefwong

chefwong Member

I've been looking real hard and strangely I cannot find the COO of any hint on any of their stuff I have on hand.

Just got the replacement for the 1st order and this one is even worst than the original order.
    Heavy raised burrs on the outer edge that has been chrome plated.
    I dunno. Maybe it's a bad batch from the same plant ?

My Kohler Cast Iron Laundry Room Sink was flawless that we did a year ago.
    I have not used their faucets in awhile so I can't comment on how long this downward trend has been going.

So far 3 for 3, angle stop, 2 complete shower/tub valve trim kits with all sh1tty QC finishes that clearly don't represent the $ price...

Hell. Maybe I should have stuck with the Dornbracht stuff I was looking at.
    I decided to go with Kohler cause I felt it was a better choice for long term parts availability....

[​IMG]I
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
  14. chefwong

chefwong Member

FWIW, the official answer from Kohler

If it says Made in China, then it's Made in PRC.

If there is NO stamping of COO, then one is to presume that it's made in NA.
  15. chefwong

chefwong Member

FWIW, the official answer from Kohler

If it says Made in China, then it's Made in PRC.

If there is NO stamping of COO, then one is to presume that it's made in NA.
  16. EuroPlumber

EuroPlumber In the Trades

Dornbracht is made in Iserlohn Germany

Dornbracht is made in Iserlohn Germany. Even the sub suppliers are based within 10 kilometers of the factory. I cannot say if Kohler is sourcing from China, but i can tell you that Dornbracht is not. As a premium brand, going the cheap route is bad for our reputation.

*In full disclosure, I am the current Technical Services Manager for Dornbracht Americas Inc.