Kohler Adair vs Cimarron 1 piece toilets.

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by lindseybp, Sep 14, 2013.

1. lindseybp

lindseybp New Member

We are adding a small powder room on our first floor and trying to decide on a toilet. We are down to deciding between the Kohler Adair and the Kohler Cimarron, both in the one piece, 1.28gpf....never had one of these 1.28gpf toilets but I'm assuming they are fine. Outside of the aesthetic differences the main functional differences seem to be these: the Adair has "class 5" flushing technology. The Cimarron has "Aqua piston" flush technology. Is one of these better than the other? Also it looks like the Adair has >=1000map and the Cimarron has >=800map. I don't know if this makes any difference as I am not that familiar with the "map" definition. We have considered a Toto but have not been able to see that many in person. We did see a Vespin 2 and another one or two at a supply store, I think one had the "dual cyclone" flush technology. Realistically would there be much of a difference between the two Kohlers we are looking at and a Toto? Ideally I want something that won't clog easily and is fairly quiet as the powder room is very close to where people will be. Any comments or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Except for one individual that frequents this forum, most of us prefer the Toto toilets. The Vespin is an excellent model, and Dual Cyclone flush is outstanding. Mapp ratings are very overrated. It's like horsepower in automobiles, after a certain point, more becomes just hype. A clogged Toto is almost unheard of. Most of us Toto owners don't even have a plunger. Kohler's flush technology has been changed so many times, it's impossible to keep up. Seems to me, if they ever had a good one, they'd stay with it. Toto uses off the shelf parts, so when replacement is necessary, any hardware store or plumbing shop has them. All low flush toilets tend to make a bit of noise when flushed since rapid release of the tank water is necessary to accomplish the flush. However, the noise is brief because of the relatively small amount of water involved. Pressure assisted toilets are the exception because of the extreme pressure involved. (Toto does not make a pressure assist toilet)
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The two Kohler models mentioned will work. I give an edge to the TOTO II series.
    But any of these will be better than previous bowls you have used.
    The two Kohler models are pretty similar. In this case, it's a matter of picking a style you like when the decision is that close between the two.
  4. lindseybp

lindseybp New Member

Reconsidering Kohler and strongly considering Toto Vespin II. Is that a good choice for a Toto?
  5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Excellent choice.
  6. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Absolutely. If you have a standard 12" rough-in, its sister toilet, the Drake II (model no. cst454cefg), has the same tank and same bowl, with the exception that the bowl on the Vespin II is "skirted" (i.e. the trapway is covered) and the Drake II is not. The Drake II is a little less-expensive. Because of its performance, quality, and appearance, the Drake II is one of Toto's most popular toilets. The Vespin II will perform the same.

Drake II: [​IMG]

Vespin II: [​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  7. lindseybp

lindseybp New Member

Thanks to all for the help. Wife likes skirted so we went ahead and purchased a vespin II today and are having it installed this week.
  8. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Fantastic! Based on my own personal experience, you're going to love it. Let us know.