Kohler 81100 K3404 Pressure Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

jrr4948

Reaction score
Regarding the Kohler Pressure Rialto system 81100 K3404. Does anyone know where I can get a washer for this unit? I need the top washer under the spring. I understand it is dicontinued and they were offering a free replacement however the replacement is not a pressure system and they now want $150 for it. This toilet can suck a tennis ball to China and I want to try and fix it. I also don't like the idea of paying a company for a defective unit that they sold! The system works however one of the washers is worn and needs replacing. I viewed the posting on your web site but is it 18 months old. Any ideas?
Thank you!
JRR

kohler_pressure_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott

Flushmate
Reaction score
Website
www.flushmate.com
Forget about washers & springs; you need to replace the toilet ASAP! The 81100 Pressure-Clean systems were discontinued for reliability and safety issues that could cause broken china, water damage, and depending upon the specific nature of the failure that will occur, potentially injure anyone in the immediate vicinity.

No pun intended, you're sitting on a time-bomb.

Perhaps you can convince Kohler to offer you a $150 credit toward a current pressure-assist model. It's a long shot, but it's a shot.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Or,
You could say, you got a good 15 years of use from it,
There are no repair parts,
Forget the $150 and just pick out a nice new toilet.

Deric Kettel

Reaction score
Parts

Greetings all, I just wanted to say I just changed out all 5 of the 81100 tank units with the new style from Kohler. At $125.00 each it seems a little high for just the top half of a toilet, but at least its done now. I wonder how long it will be before these new toilets are no longer available, have a recall, or develop problems? Oh well what can you do right? I know there are a lot of people with the 81100 model out there and if anyone wants to pay for the shipping they can have all 5 units shipped to them and they can have them for free. But as was mentioned by Terry these are a hazard and the parts are no longer available. It only takes about 5 minutes to change each one out, and now I have the piece of mind that I can fix these instead of robbing parts from old units and putting them on other toilets.

Deric Kettel
Maintenance Mechanic II
University of Washington
Forks WA

Deric Kettel

Reaction score
I forgot to add:

Terry you mentioned that it would be easier or cheaper to just buy a whole new unit, I disagree on both accounts. First to find a toilet of commercial grade for $150.00 would be challenging and second changing out the top only with the built in pressure tank saves all of the time involved in replacing the wax ring, siliconing the floor and plus the probability that the footprint wouldn't match leaving new looking and old looking tile differences. So for me anyway spending 5 or 10 minutes and being able to leave the existing bowl was a good option, not the only option but a good one for me. Thanks for a great website, you rock man!!!!

Deric Kettel
Maintenance Mechanic II
University of Washington
Forks WA

Scott

Flushmate
Reaction score
Website
www.flushmate.com
Deric Kettel said:
...I wonder how long it will be before these new toilets are no longer available, have a recall, or develop problems...

It sounds like they sold you china tanks with Flushmate pressure-assist systems. If that's the case, you should have a ten year warranty on parts and a lifetime warranty on the body of the pressure-tank itself.

Flushmate is a Division of Sloan Valve Company which is approaching its one-hundredth anniversary. Stranger things have happened but with that kind of longevity, it's a safe bet that you'll have continued support for any problems you may encounter.

On the other hand, if you ended up with some other pressure-system, your concerns may be legitimate.

Deric Kettel

Reaction score
Kokler toilets.

It must be at thier cost because they are requiring me to furnish model and serial numbers, in fact they wouldn't even give me information until I provided them with the numbers. Well I hope that I can get parts for these of they aren't exploding like the other ones, time will tell. Maybe its a scam so that they can sell more toilets every 10 years:D Thanks again Terry

Deric Kettel
Maintenance Mechanic II
University of Washington
Forks WA

Dbronson

Reaction score
Just talked with Kohler since my 81100 tank inside of my 12 year old K-4627 is leaking (slow drip-leak from small part that connects to intake pipe). Their current deal for 81100 replacements is to offer an equivalent new non-pressure model (San Rafael model for me) as a replacement for $150 plus tax. They will cover shipping. (I also need to dispose of the old model somehow). Sounds like a good deal, so I'll probably do it.

FYI - they said that they don't recommend replacing the tanks for these units. Sounds like they don't design them to support a newer tank.

Deric Kettel

Reaction score
Free Toilets

Are you sure you don't want 5 working 81100 toilets? Otherwise they are going in the dumpster.:)

Bob Davidson

Reaction score
Good day, I have reviewed a lot of information and web sites regarding parts for a Kohler Rialto Lite Toilet with Pressure Clean (K-3404) with no avail. I have now found myself at this forum and thought I might as well put forth this enquiry. I am looking to buy the following parts if anyone has them that has already replaced their toilet.
Backflow preventer(54936); Pressure regulator(81088); O ring(52592); Aspirator(66350). Or I would take the complete flushometer tank system(81100) if that was easier.

My contact information is bmdavidson@shaw.ca if anyone can help. Regards, Bobs Davidson

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You need to replace the toilet ASAP! The 81100 Pressure-Clean systems were discontinued for reliability and safety issues that could cause broken china, water damage, and depending upon the specific nature of the failure that will occur, potentially injure anyone in the immediate vicinity.
Scott

These toilets have been recalled because of the danger to human health and the damage they can cause to a home.
Kohler is replacing them. Call Kohler and let them know what you have.

The outfit that manufactured the 81100 Pressure Clean has been out of business for ten years.
You can't get parts for them.

Last edited:

Greg Wilson

Reaction score
These toilets have been recalled because of the danger to human health and the damage they can cause to a home.
Kohler is replacing them. Call Kohler and let them know what you have.

The outfit that manufactured the 81100 Pressure Clean has been out of business for ten years.
You can't get parts for them.

Most mainenanced free toilet I have ever owned.
Just my hunch but most likely failures are related to buildings with check valves on the supply and no thermal expansion tanks or poorly mainted ones. This is a great design but needs to have a presure relif valve in it. With a watts peak pressure meter I have recorded 165 psi on a building with no thermal expansion tank and a check valve on the supply. The normal pressure is 85 psi. Even the expansion tank is not a great solution it works only if it is regularly serviced. Backflow preventer on the building may be more effective. The check valve on the supply code did not tske into account flat expansion takes or no expansion tanks. Maufactures of this type of toilet need to factor this into there design and relieve pressue at the toilet. Folks with a whole house of these probably did not have problems because these toilets work as expansion tanks.
Food for thought

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks