Kohler 2 bolt tank

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by GrumpyPlumber, Jul 2, 2007.

1. GrumpyPlumber

GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

I've been coming across Kohler 2 bolt tanks on new installs, I typically let the customer decide to let me bring one, or pick out their own toilets (I avoid any potential backlash if it isn't to their liking).
    The bolts don't come through the tank like typical closets, but are slotted into a steel frame below, which allows the tank to flex without jeopardizing it's seal or rocking on the bowl to later crack if the bolts work some slack.
    I've always liked Kohler products, but this ones up in the air...I just don't like the way it tends to flex.
    It's great idea, but I wish it were more solid, or at least they had 3 bolts like a traditional Kohler.
    Any thoughts?
  2. Installed a Kohler Cimarron last thursday and along with the others....I always get the tank to bottom out with no wiggle.

My complaint is the tank is too far away from the wall on a 12" rough.
  3. dont trust them

I usually carry some extra tank bolts in my truck
    for when I run into those crummy Kohler toilets

I am not sure about your model, but I hate the ones
    where their is some sort of beveled washer that some
    how is supposed to tighten down and expands in the slot ...
    and not leak...

I cant understand what is in their minds.....

some stupid enjineer thinks up a new design for a toilet bolt....
    .that is not trustworthy on a second floor of a home and leaks... why??

I change them out on the original install before
    they become an issue..thath I get blamed for.
  4. GrumpyPlumber

GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

Right, my concern is that bracket on the bottom of the tank being where it is.
    It'll be exposed to corrosive/moist conditions and will be subject to weight..I wonder if they'll bend or rot over time...guess we'll find out the good ole fashioned way...time.