Knocking noise at water meter when washing machine is filling

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by vtxdude, Jan 3, 2010.

1. vtxdude

vtxdude New Member

My water meter is in the garage...when I turn a faucet on the little dial spins and little if no noise...when the washing machine is filling it make s knocking noise that you can hear in each bathroom etc...

I recently fastened down the copper that went from the water heater to the washing machine as when the washing machine would fill the pipe would visibly shudder........looks like the pipe from water heater is 1/2 inch and where it "T's" with the main water supply it goes down to 1/4 inch to washing machine...any idea why they would have done this?

[​IMG]

Pipe from washer back is also on a downward slope as plumber who replaces water heater "pulled" copper pipe down to fit rather put new piece in :mad:

Does not make noise with other faucets on but does click a little louder when tub is on...I guess the bigger the output (tub washing machine) The louder the clicking?

Is this an issue?

Thanks
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I don't know what is causing the knocking, but you'd better acquaint yourself with pipe sizes. I think it's most likely that you have 3/4" pipe that is then reduced to 1/2". Even if 1/4" was made in ridged pipe, that would be far too small for a washing machine. !/4" soft copper is often used for ice maker supply lines. One thing you might check is the washer shut off valves. Make sure they are turn completely on. I'm sure some of the pros will give you some better answers, but it may be tomorrow before some of them are online.
  3. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

I don't know what that picture has to do with the wash machine, show a picture of the wash machine connections. :confused:
  4. RTAPlumbing

RTAPlumbing Plumber

it could possibly be water hammer. It really is hard to tell with the information given.
  5. vtxdude

vtxdude New Member

Sorry, you are right about pipe sizes...I'm learning as I go Gary :eek:

Her is a pic of the connections...yes I know...not pretty at all...be oblivious for 8 years and now all of a sudden everything is catching up to me I think.....

[​IMG]

Why the reduction in pipe size?

What other info can I provide?

Thanks
  6. RTAPlumbing

RTAPlumbing Plumber

where is the noise coming from? is it the meter or the copper pipes in the wall?
  7. Scuba_Dave

Scuba_Dave Extreme DIY Homeowner

Washing machines do not have 3/4" connections, thus the reduction to 1/2"

You sure its not 2 pipes hitting each other ?
  8. vtxdude

vtxdude New Member

It sounds like it is coming from the meter...it spins really fast when the washing machine is filling...I'll have to listen more closely I guess...hard to do though as sound is transmitted through the pipes........let's just say if you are in the first or second floor bathroom you can hear if the washing machine is asking for water..not so if faucet..toilets a little bit louder ...tub a bit louder but not like washing machine

Good to know why reduction in size..thanks! I'll have to look at hot water one...don't remember that one being reduced but probably is

Hmmm no not sure if meter or pipes..my guess is pipes but that is just a guess...when you say pipes in wall do you mean at washing machine or one near meter?
  9. RTAPlumbing

RTAPlumbing Plumber

if it's not the pipes in the wall that it might be some trash in your meter. Maybe call the city and tell them the problem and see if they can replace your meter.
  10. vtxdude

vtxdude New Member

If trash in meter does it make any sense louder with washing machine? It is the closest to the meter...pretty silent with faucets??