Kitchen thump

Users who are viewing this thread

jmajaa

Reaction score
I have read the threads about the thump when you turn on your faucet. We have replaced everything there are no leaks the water is turned on full yet it still thumps every time. What's next? Its driving me crazy. No holes in the new hose or sprayer

Reach4

Reaction score
I have read the threads about the thump when you turn on your faucet. We have replaced everything there are no leaks the water is turned on full yet it still thumps every time. What's next? Its driving me crazy. No holes in the new hose or sprayer

When you turn the water on-- not off....

Can you point us to such a thread?

BMWpowere36m3

Reaction score
In the process of replacing a kitchen faucet I also changed the supply lines to Watts “floodsafe” ones. When the faucet is opened it thumps. I thought it was the valve in the supply line closing (quickly) when the water is first turned on and then opening... causing a thump due to that initial rush of water. However it could be a leaky side sprayer, bad diverter in the faucet.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The first thing you want to do is GET RID of those "Floodsafes". They cause as many floods as they prevent. IF they were shutting off, they would NOT reset themselves until you turned off the valves and disconnected them. Have you read the replies to your second posting about this problem?

BMWpowere36m3

Reaction score
The first thing you want to do is GET RID of those "Floodsafes". They cause as many floods as they prevent. IF they were shutting off, they would NOT reset themselves until you turned off the valves and disconnected them. Have you read the replies to your second posting about this problem?

Yeah, I didn't read the comments here before buying them… it was name brand, Watts (floodsafe) or generic ones at HD at the time for similar cost. That's good to know about the floodsafes, I thought they had some spring-loaded check valve that might be opening/closing rapidly when the water is first turned on.

Bryanroks

Reaction score

Bryanroks

Reaction score
Ok, When I was a Younger Man, and I Had A Full head of hair. Girls would........Oh Never Mind! LOL My Father Lived about 90 miles Away So I knew there was a Slim to None Chance that he would Come and Fix My "Thumper" So he Basically Told me How to Fix it. My Dad had a Weird Sense of Humor so I Cautiously Listened and Wrote down the Parts I Needed and instructions. Half Expecting that when I was done the Whole Sink would Come off the Wall and the Sprayer Hose Wrap around My Leg and Jettison me To a Nearby Outer Space Satellite! So basically What I installed a thing Called a "Ballast" it is Made of Copper and it is around 1-1/2" around and 8" Long and Shaped like a Hot Dog, and one end is Rounded and Closed, while the Other is Tapered down to Around 3/4" and Opened.. At the The opened end, a "T" is Soldered on and the "T" goes in your Copper Pipe Supply, as Close to the Sink Screw on Supply Lines as Possible, but not Past Them. Then you Sweat the Ballast(S) on to the Copper Pipe(Hot) and I Also put one on the (Cold) as Well. Make Sure that the Ballast(S) are in a UP (Vertical) position or they wont Work. The Reason is ,these Ballasts Create a Little Pressure ,just enough to Push the Water through at a Constant Rate. Well after I Installed them, it took me a Couple of hours I Cautiously turned the Main Supply back on and Went back in the House, turned on the Water and "WOOSH" (nope Im still Here) The Water not only Seemed to Come out More Smoothly, There was no more "Thump" Hope this Works for You!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks