Kitchen Sink Vent Issue

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by obrien234, Aug 7, 2013.

1. obrien234

obrien234 New Member

I've got a kitchen sink that I believe isn't venting correctly and my current plan is to install a separate vent line for the kitchen sink to fix it. I'm hoping someone can confirm my diagnosis before I go and have someone mess with the plumbing. Here's a few facts about the apartment/house:

• Apartment is the first floor of a duplex house, with the unit above having a kitchen right above ours.
    • The issue does not correlate with use of our sink (it can happen right after I use the sink, or hours after it has been used)
    • The issue does seem to lightly correlate with when the folks upstairs use their sink.
    • Looking at the pipes it seems that the sink just vents up the stack to the kitchen on the second floor and doesn't have a separate line.

Here's a video of the sink making the noise:

http://youtu.be/save0M2rajk

[video=youtube;save0M2rajk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=save0M2rajk&feature=youtu.be[/video]
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2013
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

That's a venting issue.
    The quickest fix would be to add an AAV to your trap arm.
  3. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

If it drains ok and doesn't smell, I'd probably leave it alone.
  4. obrien234

obrien234 New Member

Unfortunately it is rather loud and does kick out a bit of sewer smell. It looks like I'll give the AAV a shot and see how things go from there. Thanks for the quick replies!