kitchen sink vent issue

Users who are viewing this thread

farlsy

Reaction score
i have a new kitchen in a single-wall house (no cavity like in 2x4 construction) in hawaii. the kitchen is located at the front of the house. i need a solution on how to vent my sink. if i run a conventional vent pipe, it will protrude through my single wall and have to be exposed along and up the front of the house...not all too attractive.
in hawaii, aav are not code approved, although they are sold, and an easy solution.
the house sits 24 inches above dirt on posts. the drain pipe that i will tie into is a 2" iron pipe that protrudes vertically out of the ground (i assume it then ties into the main sewer pipe underground) and is offset from the kitchen sink drain pipe about 14 inches. so there is no horizontal branch of the drain that could be used in a chicago-loop.
can I use a 45/90/45 loop like in a chicago loop, and simply run the vent side down through the floor into the open air in stead of tying into the drain?
or is there another solution?
cheers.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

What is a "single wall house"? Is it just some kind of framework with paneling on the outside? The "yoke island vent", not a "Chicago style vent" can be installed inside a sink cabinet, but it still needs a vertical vent inside a wall somewhere.

farlsy

Reaction score
What is a "single wall house"? Is it just some kind of framework with paneling on the outside? The "yoke island vent", not a "Chicago style vent" can be installed inside a sink cabinet, but it still needs a vertical vent inside a wall somewhere.
single wall is extremely simple. it is tongue and groove 3/4" redwood. that's it! there is no cavity. once you drill from the inside, through the 3/4" redwood, you see daylight. electrical outlets are surface mounted in boxes, and wiring is run through surface-mounted channel. there is no insulation, as it is not needed in hawaii. it is very frustrating to work with, as everything runs along the surface, either on the inside, or outside.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
How about this. Go through the wall to the outside and run the vent up. Build a box (aka "chase") around the pipe using the same material as the wall. When you can hide something, make it appear intentional.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The purpose of bringing the vent through the roof, is to disperse into the wind the sewer smells.

Plumbing Code doesn't allow vent terminations within 12 feet of a window, unless it's above, like on the roof.

I am guessing that you have rain gutters and downspouts?
What is one more pipe?

farlsy

Reaction score
although i could box in the pipe on the outside front facing wall, it would be that much better, if i can route the vent under the house and off to the side.

so, i could run a vent under the house, to the other side of the garage, so long as i maintain the 12 feet from any window?

this would actually work very well for me. the house is situated such that having venting the sewer smell to the side would not be noticeable from any area of my property or my neighbors. i assume that all i would need to insure is that i have a loop under the cabinet similar to a chicago loop style?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
house

Unless this house is a one room cabin, you must have an internal wall where the yoke's vent could be installed.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

farlsy

Reaction score
Unless this house is a one room cabin, you must have an internal wall where the yoke's vent could be installed.

attachment.php

you could think of this house like a cabin, since there aren't any "internal" walls.
also, the diagram you presented won't entirely work for my application, since the pipe which exits the outflow side of the p-trap continues vertically down as it does in your diagram, through the floor and continues vertically into the ground. there isn't a horizontal section of drain under the floor into which i could tie the vent with the second wye as in your picture.

farlsy

Reaction score
attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

could i possibly install a loop inside the cabinet, as in the diagram, run the vent through the cabinet floor under the house, horizontally across to the side wall, then up the side and through the roof overhang?

is there any need to tie the vent into the drainpipe beneath the house, as in this picture?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
yoke

Just run both pipes down and connect them together UNDER the tee for the lateral vent. Or you could use the way that US Steel did in the premanufactured houses they made in the 60's. Run the pipe up next to the sink and place a "U" shaped box over it.

farlsy

Reaction score
Based on the help I have received so far, this is what I am thinking.
How does it look?

Attachments

• Plumb1.jpg
    Plumb1.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 34,170

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That looks pretty good.
You may want to add a cleanout outside the home on the vent, and below the tee for the sink.

The fittings you chose look good.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Ditto on what Terry said add a C.O. on the outside vent line and one for the sink drain. That will work a whole lot better than no vent at all.

farlsy

Reaction score
thanks so much terry and all the guys that helped me on this issue. today i ran the pipes and it all works great.
i really appreciate all your time and effort!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks