Kitchen Sink Upgrade

Users who are viewing this thread

kevin23

Reaction score
I just found this forum today.....lots of great info. I'm a confirmed DIY-er and have done a couple kitchen sink upgrades. Both were pretty straight forward since I didn't change any of the undersink plumbing. Both jobs were mainly just replacing old sink with new sink, old faucet with new faucet, reconnect supply lines, PVC plumbing and disposal. Well....I hate the stainless steel sink the builder used in my 2-year old house, so I'm replacing with a Thermocast black acrylic sink. The bowl on the left side is 7" deep and smaller, whereas the right side bowl is 9" and very large. In the sink, I am going to replace, the disposal is on the left side. For the new sink, it would seem to make sense that the disposal be moved to the right side (bigger sink) where we do most of our dish rinsing and food prep. I'm thinking of moving the disposal to the right side, but it looks like the waste 2" PVC line coming out of the wall could pose a problem since there's a angle piece on the end which curves the waste line to right side of the sink. If I move the disposal to the right side on the new sink, I think I'm going to have to use an elbow joint/right angle piece after the trap in order to use the existing waste line connection. Sorry if I'm not using the correct terminology here, but hopefully this makes sense. I've read that the pipe after the trap can't be higher, but I don't need to raise it up. I just need to make a sharp bend after the trap in order to hit the waste line straight. Can I do this without violating any sort of plumbing practices/codes?

Thanks in advance for any feedback,
Kevin

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
connection

Most users would put the disposer in the small since so items could be rinsed off the dish and then rinsed in water that is standing in the larger sink. If I am reading your question properly, then it would seem that what you wish to do is okay, although a plumber at the site, might do it differently.

kevin23

Reaction score
Sink Upgrade Complete

hj,

thanks for the feedback. I went ahead with the sink replacement this weekend and all went as expected. I decided to leave the disposal in the small sink as you suggested and this arrangement seems to be ideal. The only problem I'm having is a slow leak at the point where I connect the pipe for the disposal discharge. The leak was present before I did the upgrade and I hoped that some new plumbers putty would help to seal the joint. But the leak persists. Upon closer inspection, it appears that the leak isn't coming from the point of connection. It's actually coming from the disposal right before the threaded section that I'm connecting to. I'm guessing that at some point a small crack formed in this area, but the disposal is only 2 years old. Anyway, I had some silicone sealant left over from attaching the sink, so I applied it liberally to the area where the leak appeare to be coming from. If that doesn't stop the leak, then I guess I'm looking at a new disposal. Not exactly what I had planned when I started the upgrade. By the way, the Thermocast acrylic sink is really nice and the installation couldn't be easier. You just put a bead of silicone caulk along the edge and set in place. No clips required.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks