Kitchen sink single handle valve operation..

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by pmaru77, May 7, 2009.

1. pmaru77

pmaru77 New Member

Seems like almost all new kitchen sink faucets are the single handle valve type these days, and I love 'em. But I'm curious to how people actually use them. If I want cold water, I will move the lever back and bias it to the right so as not to get any hot water mixed in. Some of these new levers seem like they could easily be just pushed back right down the middle and get a mix that you would not normally even notice, as the hot takes time to get there. My theory here is that there are a good percentage of people (blonde wives perhaps, but certainly not the olly ones) that when they go for a glass of water they are actually getting some cold and old hot water without even knowing what they are doing. I think I've been guilty of this myself on occasions. The reason I am bring this up is that now with on demand tankless hot water heaters (propane in my case) it would be foolish to have the heater kick in for these situations of using hot by accident. I really think this is a concern, and I am leaning towards getting a double handled kitchen sink so as to eliminate this possibility. Wadda ya think?
  2. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

Your ultimate point is valid due to your how water setup.
    Your original point is moot among many who have filter systems at their home sinks (with dedicated filter faucet valves). :D
  3. pmaru77

pmaru77 New Member

I was just using the drinking water as an example anyways. In my case, the water is not drinkable anyways.

The bottom line is this: when someone draws water from a single handle faucet, what are the chances they are drawing from both hot and cold when they only need to draw from the cold?
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Depends...some single handle faucets self-center in the process of turning them off, so you can't ever start them with all cold or hot. If yours doesn't do that, you can rotate the thing to the side you want before lifting it to turn things on, and then you shouldn't be getting any hot unless you wanted to.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

faucet

Unless the user is like the sterotypical blond, he/she will KNOW where to position the handle for the desired temperature.