Kitchen sink pull-down spray-head brand compatibility?

Users who are viewing this thread

davearonson

Knows Just Enough about Plumbing to be Dangerous
Reaction score
Website
www.davearonson.com
We are looking to replace our kitchen sink pull-down faucet aerator/spray-head due to poor pressure. However, we have no idea what brand it is!

The connector on the hose is female, 3/4" inside diameter, 1/2" deep, about 12 TPI. You'd think that would help us determine what aftermarket spray-heads are compatible, wouldncha? But you'd be wrong. Almost all the ads just list what brands they're compatible with, not the actual specs. And I've been having no luck trying to find a listing of what makers use what specs.

We could possibly just get a Danco Smart Spray (which I think is what was on there before), and hope that the adapters it comes with does indeed include one compatible with ours... but apparently that is deliberately low-flow, and we think the problem is probably that, rather than a buildup of crud inside it. We did clean both the externally accessible screens, soaked it in vinegar, couldn't figure out how to disassemble it, and kinda... sorta... broke it.... :oops:

Pix are attached. (Yes, the handle is not attached to the thing that holds the hose! Go fig. I've never seen that before. I'm hoping it helps ID the darn thing.)

So... any recommendations for something compatible and reasonably priced, that isn't low-flow, and does both "stream" and "spray"? Or at least a clue what brand to look for compatibility with, or suggestions where to find such a list?

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• 2017-04-15-Connector-Inside-Small.jpg
    2017-04-15-Connector-Inside-Small.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 503
  • 2017-04-15-Faucet-and-Connector.jpg
    2017-04-15-Faucet-and-Connector.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 718

davearonson

Reaction score
Website
www.davearonson.com
Since y'all are of course waiting with bated breath, an update.

We wound up going with the Danco. Couldn't find anything else that seemed to fit. It's doing OK, though still rather low flow, but then again, most of the house has rather poor pressure. :-(

davearonson

Reaction score
Website
www.davearonson.com
Update: we're sick of the fershlugginer low-flow, making it take very long to fill pots, clean dirty stuff, or even get hot water. Any ideas at least how to identify the brand of faucet (will TRY to look at the thing's attachment points, under the counter, behind the sink), or some other brand or model of reasonably priced GENERIC replacement that is NOT LOW FLOW?! Thanks in advance....

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes there will be a tag with model number on a supply line below the counter.
That is a pretty small opening, though showerheads have something similar in size too. My kitchen faucet was weak when I move in, and in short order I changed it out. I know the feeling of slow pot fills. Who has the time for watching a pot slooooowly fill?

davearonson

Reaction score
Website
www.davearonson.com
No tags, other than the ones on the supply lines from when they were stocked at Lowe's. (A lot of the work on this house was apparently done by a prior owner, who may have had less than professional levels of clue. Even this amateur has spotted several WTFs. Leaving the stock-tags on the supply lines is the least of it.) And I couldn't crank my neck around enough in the tight space behind the sink, under the counter, to see the bottoms of the faucet-stand (is there a more common name for that?) and the (separate) control handle. :-(

In the meantime, I've been browsing Amazon, and most of their replacements say they have G 1/2 IPS straight threads, and claim that that's about as near to a standard as one might find. Is that correct? But what I'm NOT finding is solid info on what either side of such a connection looks like! I have calipers and measured the OD of the threads on the spray-head (major diameter) as about 0.794" (minor diameter about 0.713"), and the ID (minor diameter) of where it screws onto the hose as about 0.75" (couldn't measure its major).

I've seen a few charts that seem like they might be talking about such a connection (frex https://www.engineersedge.com/fluid_flow/straight_pipe_threads_13376.htm), and if I'm interpreting them correctly, the coupler's thread ID is in range but the spray head's thread OD and ID should both be a few hundredths larger, around 0.8175" and 0.753". Or maybe I should be looking at the NPSL section rather than NPSM, which only specifies one side of the min/max, so it sorta does fit? Or maybe I'm reading the chart wrong, or maybe that's supposed to refer to the pipe itself and the threads are skinnier? Or maybe I've damaged them a bit in the process of removing the adaptor. Or who knows.

And the male part has only about two and a third turns of threads, so it's very hard to guesstimate the threads per inch but two turns seem to take about 0.15", making 13.3333, and the female part makes six threads in about 0.480 inches, making about 12.5 TPI, though with a very large margin of error, while the chart says 14. As these measurements are sloppy but close to "correct", I'm tempted to say that's a probable fit.

I feel like that dog in the "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING" meme....

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
G 1/2 IPS straight threads, and claim that that's about as near to a standard as one might find. Is that correct? But what I'm NOT finding is solid info on what either side of such a connection looks like!
Similar to 1/2 NPT except the female side has a gasket rather than using taper to seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks