kitchen sink problem: sprayer jumps every time the faucet is turned on

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by jsteelio, Jan 30, 2011.

1. jsteelio

jsteelio New Member

When I turn on my recently installed American Standard Cadet faucet, water goes up the sprayer hose and the water pressure makes the sprayer jump which causes a thumping sound. Is the diverter suppose to prevent water from going up the sprayer hose or is its job only to prevent water from coming out of the faucet when the sprayer button is pressed?

I emailed American Standard about my problem and they are sending me a new pressure compensating aerator to fix the problem though the part is currently out of stock. I'm uncertain on whether this new part will actually fix the problem.

Any help?

Jason
  2. dugfresh

dugfresh New Member

Is it a side spay or a pull out spayer? A side sprayer faucet sends water to the sprayer, which you're not using it diverts to the spout. My first inkling is that you have too high of water pressure. Anything above 80 is generally above legal. Another thing could be water leaking out of the sprayer and being replaced with air allowing the water to rush to the sprayer handle in the off position and then Hammer once it fully pressurizes and diverts to the spout.
  3. jsteelio

jsteelio New Member

It's a side sprayer. Turning down the pressure helps a little but then it seems like there isn't enough pressure for the dishwasher to clean properly which it shares the hot water with the faucet.

I'm still unclear about how the diverter should work. When I initially turn on the faucet with the sprayer in the off position should water still travel up the sprayer hose?
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

House water pressure has nothing to do with the dishwasher. It is a pumped spray. It IS very important to run a faucet in the sink until the water is hot. Otherwise, the dishwasher will fill with cold or warm water and will not clean well.

First thing I would do is replace the diverter in the faucet.
  5. jsteelio

jsteelio New Member

So if water is going up the sprayer hose when I turn on the facet the diverter is not working properly? Or is the diverter suppose to allow water up the sprayer hose even when the sprayer is not in use?
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

WHen you shut the water off, if the spray head leaks, it could suck some air in or let a little water out, and then, instead of a column of water that isn't compressible, there's a little air in there, and the water pressure fills it up, then abruptly stops, creating the thump.
  7. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

>>>I'm still unclear about how the diverter should work. When I initially turn on the faucet with the sprayer in the off position should water still travel up the sprayer hose?<<<

The answer is yes, every time the faucet is on the sprayer is on, the faucet off the sprayer is off.
    I think one of the other posts said too much water pressure, I concur with that.
    The other thing that could cause that is a poor design faucet, not much you can do about that.
  8. boby_k

boby_k New Member

RE: American Standard faucet - thumping sound

Could I know what the resolution to this problem was? I am having exactly the same issue. I will greatly appreciate a response.

9. boby_k

boby_k New Member

Mystery solved

I got a replacement unit of the same model (Cadet). The new one does not do thumping noise.

I looked at other manufacturers, moen, delta, pf etc. All have plastic connectors.

Good thing about American Standard Cadet one is, it has all brass standard connectors. That is the reason I tried the same model for replacement. I would not put some plastic connectors in not so visible area under the sink. World is going backwards to plastic.

10. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The water is leaking out of the hose, so when the faucet is turned on, initially it thinks the button is pressed so it diverts, but then the hose fills IMMEDIATELY, and the diverter switches back, which makes the "clunk". You should have a momentary pause in the water flow when you turn the faucet on, although it could be too fast for you to notice it.