Kitchen Sink Plumbing - Several Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Corwin

Reaction score
Hello All -

First post here. We are renting a house in California (Pacifica) and I'd like to redo the kitchen sink plumbing, which, as you can see from the photo, is in serious need of repair. The landlord will reimburse for materials, etc., but that's not the concern. The concern I have is that I'm not sure how to correctly reconfigure the plumbing. I'm sure it's not correct as is, but what do I need to do? I plan to use ABS rather than PVC, as I think it looks cleaner, but have no other thoughts on the repairs.

The disposal clogs and backs up easily under the current configuration, but I'm not sure if the disposal or the installation is to blame. There are also several leaks from around the p-trap and other areas, causing unpleasant odors from beneath the sink.

I'd greatly appreciate your help as I attempt to tackle this project. Thanks!

IMG_20140706_093205_219-XL.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the disposer is older than 8 years, that could be your problem. Blades wear, and they no longer dice the food up. They become peelers instead of dicers.
I would start with the disposer.
It also may be that the waste is running uphill from the p-trap.
I see nothing wrong with PVC piping like that with slip joints. If you glue ABS there, and the line plugs, you will have to cut it out. That's way too much trouble :)

Corwin

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry. I will do as you suggest and start with the disposal. Is there a particular horsepower that's recommended for general home use? I may also replace the existing PVC slip fittings if you think it would be useful to do so. Thanks again.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is no reason to "replace" the slip fittings, unless they have accumulated a coating on their inside surfaces that is creating an odor, which often happens with plastic. They also make ABS slip fittings if you prefer the black color.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks