Kitchen sink pipes configuration

Users who are viewing this thread

Susan48

Reaction score
IMG_2300.JPG
IMG_2303.JPG

Please help! I had a new kitchen sink installed along with my new counter tops. I was too cheap to pay a plumber to hook it up. However the new configuration is a problem and I have been working on it for two days without solving it.

I installed the new garbage disposal under the right sink drain and ran it to the left sink pipes. This is the same as the configuation of the previous sink.

The problem is that the new left sink drain pipes are too close to the pipe that takes the discharge out through the back wall. So the pipes coming down from the left sink drain very very close to the pipe attached to the pipe in the back wall. The two pipes are virtually side by side (about two inches apart.)

I have sawed off the fitting to shortened the pipe coming out of the wall twice and am afraid to make that wall pipe any shorter.

How can I attach the two vertical pipes or reconfigure the whole thing to make the necessary connections?

I attach two pictures. Please note the discharge pipe going into the back wall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
sink_dw.jpg

You have the wrong parts for that. Get rid of the 90 bend that comes with the disposal, and pick up a disposer kit that comes straight out.
Then you can use a standard p-trap.

disposer_sea.jpg

Susan48

Reaction score
Terry,
Thanks for your suggestion. I tried it already but my under -he sink-discharge pipe (in the wall) is not offset from the left sink drain. When I force a connection by turning the pipes to the right, the connection leaks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can offset at the wall, but you should really raise up the line from the disposer. You may have had it done that way before, but it didn't make it right either.
An offset would be like a street 45 with trap adapter. It swings the trap over to one side and you can swivel it back to the basket drain.

Susan48

Reaction score
Terry,

Sorry to be a pest but I am a green DIY-er. Would you have a picture or diagram of what your suggested configuration would look like? I really appreciate the time you are taking for me.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Where the pipe comes out of the wall you need to saw off the existing trap adapter. Leave enough room to glue on a 45 and then install a new trap adapter. The idea is to create more space between the trap adapter and the tailpiece so you can install a p-trap. Dry fit everything to make sure it will work.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Interesting, you were "too cheap to have a plumber hook it up", but not too proud to ask one how to do it yourself. Next time you need your car repaired get the parts and then go to the dealer to ask him how to put them in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks