Kitchen sink in laundry room drain size issues

Users who are viewing this thread

packerbacker

Reaction score
We have a .5 bath/laundry room and my wife wanted a LARGE sink. So we removed the pedestal sink and I've installed a 30" wide kitchen cabinet, extra deep to accommodate a large single bowl kitchen sink. All is good except for one problem. The kitchen sink drain has 1-1/2 threads to attach tailpiece. My wall has 1-1/4 threads from the original bathroom p-trap.

Looks like I have 1-1/2 PVC in the wall but the builders installed/glued on a 1-1/2 to 1-1/4 reducing trap adapter. I didn't think this would be an issue but am now stumped. I really don't want to cut back the drywall, hack off the reducer to put a 1-1/2 inch trap adapter in.

So what other options do I have? I thought about just screwing on a bushing to the 1-1/4, but id basically be using that bushing backwards of its intended purpose, I think.

Are there any obvious options that I'm missing? Can I rig up a Fernco of some sort to just reduce this thing? What am I missing? This shouldn't be so complicated but I'm seriously stumped.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They make a tools for pipoe reaming that will drill the plastic fitting out of the hub. Then you can glue in the 1.5" that you need.
The one below is for 2".

reed-pipe-reamer-1.jpg

packerbacker

Reaction score
So would I then just get a male 1-1/2" trap adapter and glue inside the pipe? The reamer wouldn't take the collar off the old fitting would it?

packerbacker

Reaction score
never mind, I watched some youtube videos. So I cut the reducer off and ream the rest of the pipe out of the elbow and put some new 1-1/2 in and a proper 1-1/2 trap adapter and I'm golden. thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks