Kitchen Sink Giving off Dirt Smell - Garbage Disposal?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by dngrmys, Apr 7, 2014.

1. dngrmys

dngrmys New Member

We have noticed that our kitchen sink is giving off a distinct dirt smell and we're wondering if the garbage disposal is the problem. I have googled this issue and it appears this is a somewhat common problem, but cannot find a conclusive solution. We have tried baking soda, vinegar, cleaning the flap, bleach and nothing seems to work. I read someone mention "enzymes" so I think that might be my next step.

I have also read this smell could be caused by the rust in the disposal, but replacing the whole unit is a last resort.

Any advice or help is appreciated.
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

Some suggest grinding ice cubes to help clean.
  3. dngrmys

dngrmys New Member

I have tried that, but the smell is still there.