Kitchen sink fills until Disposal runs

Users who are viewing this thread

gsxr_1000

Reaction score
My kitchen sink fills with water until I run the disposal. The disposal runs freely. Also, when the diswasher runs, the sink fills with water until I run the disposal.

I have removed the trap and snaked the drain with a 25' snake with no luck.

Is this a problem with the disposal or the drain vent?

I am going to remove the trap tonight and fill the disposal to see if water drains out (I should have tested this before).

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Clean Drain

Your sink drain is stopped up. Often 25 foot isn't enough to reach your main line and you need a power sink machine with a head that scrapes the sides of the pipes to open the drain. Poking a hole through the clog only works for a little while.

gsxr_1000

Reaction score
Thanks

Even though the sink drains when I run the disposal, the drain is clogged? Ok. I guess that means that I am going to have to call a plumber to get this fixed. Thanks for the help! :)

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Forced Drain

The disposer acts as a pump and forces the water through. Sometimes the water spits back at you when you shut the disposer off. You need a plumber.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks