Kitchen sink fills until Disposal runs

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by gsxr_1000, Oct 4, 2004.

1. gsxr_1000

gsxr_1000 New Member

My kitchen sink fills with water until I run the disposal. The disposal runs freely. Also, when the diswasher runs, the sink fills with water until I run the disposal.

I have removed the trap and snaked the drain with a 25' snake with no luck.

Is this a problem with the disposal or the drain vent?

I am going to remove the trap tonight and fill the disposal to see if water drains out (I should have tested this before).

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
  2. LonnythePlumber

LonnythePlumber Plumber, Contractor, Attorney

Clean Drain

Your sink drain is stopped up. Often 25 foot isn't enough to reach your main line and you need a power sink machine with a head that scrapes the sides of the pipes to open the drain. Poking a hole through the clog only works for a little while.
  3. gsxr_1000

gsxr_1000 New Member

Thanks

Even though the sink drains when I run the disposal, the drain is clogged? Ok. I guess that means that I am going to have to call a plumber to get this fixed. Thanks for the help! :)
  4. LonnythePlumber

LonnythePlumber Plumber, Contractor, Attorney

Forced Drain

The disposer acts as a pump and forces the water through. Sometimes the water spits back at you when you shut the disposer off. You need a plumber.