Kitchen Sink Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Dostoy320

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm working on a kitchen remodel that requires moving the sink about 3 feet to the right. Here's a photo for reference:

0mbjPJF.jpg

There was a 2" cast iron vertical drain pipe in the wall behind the sink that ran straight down through the basement and connected at the floor. It had to go because it was leaking.

In the photo, it has already been taken out, and a piece of PVC is just loose-fit to the remaining galvanized vent pipe. The plan is to replace the cast iron section with 2" PVC and use a short length of 1 1/2" PVC above the sanitary tee to connect the galvanized vent.

The new sink will be in the corner of the room, so I need to get a horizontal run of PVC from the vertical pipe to the new sink location.

My plan is to run a length of 1 1/2" PVC from the sanitary tee, through the wall, ending in a 90 degree elbow that faces out from the wall in the cabinet under the sink. From there, I plan to connect the sink plumbing, with the dishwasher waste pipe tied in upstream of the P-trap.

At 3', I'm pretty sure I'm well within limits for my distance to the vent. And I'll be careful to maintain the 1/4" slope-per-foot.

Does anyone see any problems with this design? I want to get it right and pass my inspection without hassle.

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will need to change the coupling between the galvanized and the PVC, with a metal shielded coupling.
The rubber coupling you have can't be used inside a home.
If you have a disposal, the drain can be aprox 16" from the floor. If the sink is less then 8" deep, you may go as high as 19"

mission_bandseal.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SHR

Dostoy320

Reaction score
Wow, an answer from the man himself! Thanks, Terry.

I'll seek out a metal-shielded coupling. We're not installing a garbage disposal, but does it make sense to place the drain at 16" anyway, in case we ever want to install one?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you change your mind, or if some future owner decides to, it might be nice to have an electrical outlet to plug it into. In addition, in this area the outlet for the dishwasher is under the sink with a cord to the dishwasher. This is to comply with the requirement that the DW disconnect has to be accessible, and visible, while working on it.

Reactions: SHR

Dostoy320

Reaction score
If you change your mind, or if some future owner decides to, it might be nice to have an electrical outlet to plug it into. In addition, in this area the outlet for the dishwasher is under the sink with a cord to the dishwasher. This is to comply with the requirement that the DW disconnect has to be accessible, and visible, while working on it.

Interesting point... I hadn't considered a plug under the sink. I have a 20a circuit coming up right there for the dishwasher, but as I understand it, DW has to be on its own circuit. I'll look into it. Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

They don't do that in Washington, but it would be nice.
Sometimes the panel is mismarked, and because of that I always touch the wires together to see they are still powered up. It make a pretty loud bang when they are.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks