Kitchen Sink Drain/Vent Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

jhammel62

Reaction score
So, I'm working at trying to clean up the drain under my kitchen sink to free up some more space and hopefully avoid problems in the future. As you can see from the picture it's quite a crowded mess under there. Right now I am planning on rotating the garbage disposal and swapping the 90 degree bend on the disposal to have a straight shot from the disposl over to the arm coming down off the left sink. One thing I am curious about, and you can't really see in the picture is that whjen I was cleaning out in the wall behind the sink I discovered an old vent pipe (house is old enough that all vent pipes are lead, have found a few other ones during other remodeling) that was cut off at some point so it's not hooked to anything making me think that I don't have a proper vent for this drain. What I was wondering is if I should try and run a tee off the waste arm between the disposal and the sink so that I can re-attach the vent? Another thing that I was thinking is that while I'm at it I will probably have to install a standard p-trap while I'm at it. Not really sure what my best course is at this point thought I'd get some advice before proceeding.
IMG_20140209_182151.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What you have is not vented and you have an S-trap.
You will need to remove the S-trap, and install a proper trap, and you will need to vent from the top of the santee that the trap will be installed to with an AAV (Studor Vent)

The disposer can rotate and point to the other sink drain.

jhammel62

Reaction score
That ws pretty much my plan, to rotate the disposal and swap the 90 bend coming out of it for a straight connector like you tend to suggest. Is that just a personal preference or does it help limit potential clogging doing it that way? Would it not be advisable to attach to the vent pipe existing in the wall instead of using an AAV?
What you have is not vented and you have an S-trap.
You will need to remove the S-trap, and install a proper trap, and you will need to vent from the top of the santee that the trap will be installed to with an AAV (Studor Vent)

The disposer can rotate and point to the other sink drain.

jhammel62

Reaction score

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
In the link I provided above, look at post #9 and see if those drawings help. They may be more what you need to do. Placement of the vent is important, putting it before the p-trap does nothing. You may need a double sanitary tee with a vent out the top to a AAV (studor vent) or the exting outside vent if you can make it work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks