Kitchen Sink Drain Rough in Height

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by slippy field, Aug 21, 2013.

1. slippy field

slippy field New Member

Assume a standard counter height, a standard drop in single bay sink, no disposer or anything else, what is the maximum center drain point could a guy could guy away with. Reason I ask is I had some help last weekend and although I'm not in front of it to measure it, I think it has to be at least 20 inches, maybe higher. The thought of hole sawing out the 2X4s again really makes me want to drink. I've done a search for the suggested heights but didn't know what the max a guy could get away with.

Thanks for any input.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Kitchen sink rough

7.5" bowl over mounted with disposer you can get by with 19"
    10" undermount bowl with disposer better at 16"

Without the disposer, you can raise it 2". However, that may also mean a future disposer would not be possible.
  3. slippy field

slippy field New Member

was afraid of that. Might need a new drill. That hole sawing ain't easy on the old girl. Appreciate the information. I will have plenty of other questions to bother you with. Thanks!
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

as a practical matter, depending on the style of drain fitting you use in the sink, you could get by with the drain about 5" below the bottom of the sink, since it just HAS to be an inch or so below the sink's strainer fitting.