Kitchen Sink Drain Line Through Studs???

Users who are viewing this thread

junky99

Reaction score
Hi all. First time poster, long time lurker. I'm redoing my kitchen and came across an issue with the sink drain. I'd like to replace it all with PVC. As you see in the pictures, the drain line is on the outside of the studs. I'd lke to move to the inside so my cabinets will be flush against the wall without any modifications.

With a 2 inch drain pipe, can I just use some stud shoes to compensate where I'll be boring holes. This wall is an outside load bearing wall.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
That king and jack combo on the left is already thinned down by the sway brace that is let in on the outside. By the time you hog out for a 2" pipe, there won't be much left.

junky99

Reaction score
That king and jack combo on the left is already thinned down by the sway brace that is let in on the outside. By the time you hog out for a 2" pipe, there won't be much left.

I figured as much, so... looks like i have 2 solutions then.

1. Go through floorboards for drain line
2. Notch out my cabinets

Which would you suggest? Or am I missing something here?????

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is a 1 1/2" tee and we run 1 1/2" horizontal drain lines through the studs all the time. The studs below the window are NOT supporting anything.

Lightwave

Reaction score
The studs below the window are NOT supporting anything.

Before anyone gets the wrong idea from this, only the cripple studs under a window or door are assured not to be supporting structural weight. The trimmers and king studs are supporting the header and cannot be notched by more than 25% of their width or drilled to a diameter more than 40% of their width.

It's allowable to bore up holes up to 1 3/8" in load bearing 2x4s. Notching is limited to 7/8". 2" holes can be bored through doubled up 2x4s or single 2x6s.

Framing terminology guide.

Last edited:

junky99

Reaction score
So.... with all that being said, what are my options?

Will going under the floorboards be okay, or shall I mimic what is there now and modify the cabinets?

junky99

Reaction score
Never really thought about that. Kitchen is small so I'd like to keep as much space as possible. Thanks for the reply!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF they are going to furr the wall out, they might just as well keep the pipe in the cabinet. Furring the wall will mean EVERYTHING, including the window reveal and all the electical boxes will have to be modified. There is no way to run the pipe under the floorboards and still have a proper drain. Or, if you did, you would still need a pipe like you now have for a vent, and that would create more problems for you, than the drain line. I would have absolutely no reluctance to drilling the 1 1/2" pipe through the studs, and have done it innumerable times, (in fact it usually has to be done in EVERY installation), either for the drain or the vent, depending on where I located the drain riser. I have NEVER used stud shoes on any installation, any where.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Don't over think it. Drill the double stud and before you reach the next stud, stub out with a 1/8 bend (45degrees). That will take you fairly close to where you want to be.

junky99

Reaction score
Okay... I'm going to go with a 1.5" drain line into the vent.

Now, I can just use a regular 2x2x1.5 tee right?

junky99

Reaction score
Why are you not just turning THAT tee sideways and use it? Otherwise you use a 2x 1 1/2x 1 1/2 tee.

I'm planning on tearing down all the old stuff and replacing with new PVC. 1.5 kitchen drain line, 2 inch main with 2 in vent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks