Kitchen sink drain leaks when emptying full sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Queen50

Reaction score
We have a double sink. One sink works fine, but the other drain leaks if the sink is full of water when the stopper is pulled. I can see it dripping from the bottom of the P-trap, but can't pinpoint where the water is coming from. It works fine with simply running water, or if it contains a smaller volume.

I should add the plumbing has worked fine for 20+ years; this is a recent development. Any ideas of what I should look for?

Reach4

Reaction score
Tie a cloth or cotton rope around the tailpiece (the top vertical pipe). If that gets wet, the problem is at the top of the tailpiece. If not, the problem joint is below that.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are several places it could leak, but we would have to be there to tell you which one is your problem. It is illogical to assume that a single trap will only leak when one of the sinks drains, but not the other.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can't pin point the leak? worked fine for 20 years?

I'd replace or re-do the drain set, from the bottom of the sink to the trap.

Queen50

Reaction score
There are several places it could leak, but we would have to be there to tell you which one is your problem. It is illogical to assume that a single trap will only leak when one of the sinks drains, but not the other.

Each sink has its own P-trap. I meant to say that the identical setup is working fine.

Queen50

Reaction score
Tie a cloth or cotton rope around the tailpiece (the top vertical pipe). If that gets wet, the problem is at the top of the tailpiece. If not, the problem joint is below that.

I put a cloth around the tailpiece just above the connection to the P-trap; it got soaked. That means the drain assembly needs to be replaced?

Ankhseeker

Reaction score
Maybe you could add some food coloring to the water to help locate the source of the leak. Might show up better on a rag wrapped around the pipe.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I put a cloth around the tailpiece just above the connection to the P-trap; it got soaked. That means the drain assembly needs to be replaced?

An easy fix it to replace the basket.
That way you get a new tailpiece washer with it. I like to replace baskets every so often anyway. They tend to lose the chrome finish after a few years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks