Kitchen sink drain install questions

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by jwray, Jun 3, 2007.

1. jwray

jwray New Member

Two questions on install of strainers and drail tail piece for kitchen sink:

1. This is a cast iron sink and the sink strainers I bought at lowes are not long enough. By this I mean with the strainer in the hole (w/ a plumbers putty seal) and the neoprene washer and paper washer on the bottom there are not enough threads exposed in order to thread on the lock nut. Are there special strainers made for the thicker cast iron sinks? The packaging does not seem to indicate it is not for a CI sink.

2. Is there a code max length for a sink tailpiece? Mine will wind up being about 12".

Thanks for the help.

Joel
  2. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

I've got an old cast iron sink with an old style basket strainer. It has the threads much lower and uses a smaller locknut than the standard 3 1/2 inch. Maybe you can still find it somewhere. It has "American Standard" stamped on it. There's always Habitat For Humanity if you can't find a new one.

I don't think the length of that tailpipe matters as long as it is sloped downward.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

These are called double cup strainers, and are quite common. Watts makes one. They should be available in all the usual places.
  4. jwray

jwray New Member

Thanks for the advice on the strainers.

In the picture I can't see where the locknut is that tightens against the bottom of the sink. Does it use another method to hold it in place?

Also, on the tailpiece question I'm speaking of the vertical tailpiece that attaches to the bottom of the strainer. I think I remember seeing a limit on the lenght somewhere, but can't find it now.

I think the answer I got refers to the horizontal trap arm. There is a limit on the length of the trap arm. It has to be short enough so that the fall due to the normal slope does not exceed one pipe diameter. This prevents a syphon from developing that would suck the water out of the trap and break the seal.

Thanks,

Joel
  5. markts30

markts30 Commercial Plumber

Limit on tailpieces is 24" (At least under the UPC)
    Limit on trap arms depends on the size of the trap arm...
  6. jwray

jwray New Member

Thanks for the help all. My tailpieces are only about 12" so they will be OK.

I took the strainers I originally bought back to Lowes and found a deep cup strainer made by Keeney Mfg (that seems to be the brand they carry for all the tubular stuff). Went in fine and my sink is all hooked up w/ no leaks!!

I've installed many sinks before, but this is my first cast iron sink. Thanks to you all I learned something new. That's what I love about home improvement, I'm always learning something.

Thanks again.

Joel