Kitchen sink dishwasher drain help!

Users who are viewing this thread

slowgsxr97

Reaction score
Sinks backing up, draining slow.

Remodel on the kitchen, double sink drained fine before with a regular single trap setup. It never had a dishwasher before. Dishwasher is not installed yet. So I bought the dishwasher drain kit, Above the 3/4" barb on the tailpiece there's a divert-er. I'm assuming to keep water from splashing up when the dishwasher drains. My problem is under heavy drain or faucet running it will fill up to the divert-er, then cause the opposite side of the sink to start filling, Then it takes forever to drain it. This is a dedicated 2" line from the basement to the roof, sink is directly hooked into the vertical run.

Are there any other options to try here? The drain is too high on the wall to use a regular dishwasher tail off the strainer. Can the diverter be modified so it can handle more water? Any tips or advice will be appreciated. Here is what I have.

20140306_125317.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Your theory might be correct. On the other hand, suppose the pipe in the basement has a partial clog.

Can you clean the vertical drain pipe in the basement?
Does the backing up occur right away, or after maybe a gallon of water has been drained?

Last edited:

slowgsxr97

Reaction score
There's a clean out in the basement at the floor, I could get into it there.

It varys on the timing of the back up, sometimes its quick, sometimes takes a few minutes, sometimes it doesnt do it at all.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
First, make sure your trap arm is pitched enough towards the tee in the wall. I too suspect you have a partial clog. If the drain will not accept the full flow of the faucet, you have some drain cleaning to do. Any long vertical section of piping is a good place to start looking.

slowgsxr97

Reaction score
I will have to go in from the T In the wall to snake the drop to the basement. Its all galvanized if that makes a difference. I guess ill start by getting in the clean out and running the hose in it to see if it takes the water without backing up so I can narrow it down to my drop piece and under sink plumbing.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I meant to say any long section of HORIZONTAL pipe is a good place to start looking. If it is old galvanized drain pipe, I would not hesitate to cut it out and replace it with PVC.

slowgsxr97

Reaction score
Will a drill powered auger from one of the home stores do a good enough job for something like this? There like $17. 25' long 1/4" diam

One probably important detail I forgot to mention, This drain was not used for about 9 months until now.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Might very well be the galvanized pipe is corroded. You might clean it with an auger, but usually those DIY specials are not worth crap. A professional plumber with "real" equipment might have some luck, but, as you may tell, it's pretty doubtful you can salvage this old drain.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote' There like $17. 25' long 1/4" diam

You don't send a toy to do a tool's job. Spend $300.00 and you MIGHT get one that is adequate for the job. Mine cost $2,000.00 and it WILL Do the job. If it does not happen "immediately" then the problem is in the drain line, NOT the sink drain.

slowgsxr97

Reaction score
20140307_111108.jpg

Ok problem solved, partial clog was an understatement. The snake went in easy until I got to the blockage, but at least it let pinpoint exactly where it was, It was about 4" of crud. Got it all cleaned out. Ran the garden hose full bore for 20 minutes, no clogs anywhere else. Sink drains like it should now. Thanks for all the input.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks