Kitchen sink clogged

Users who are viewing this thread

Shluffer

Reaction score
My kitchen sink won't drain. The drain runs through an old disposal, then into a trap and down a drain pipe. I pulled the trap off and the sink drained. Thing is, there was no water in the drain pipe (at least none that I could feel). Am I just not reaching in far enough to check for water, or could my disposal be bad? I managed to get a snake about two feet down, but I'm not sure that that would be far enough if there is a clog.

last question, If there is a clog, it would be from potato peels my wife pushed down the thing (I know not supposed to put potato down a disposal). Is there something I can pour down the thing that would dissolve the potato?

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Find the drain in the basement and get a snake that will run the full length. It will not be easy.

If not call a pro.

I shove potato peels down with no probs. The trick is not to stuff a full dinners worth down at once. Run the disposer and feed the peels into it while running lots of water to push the stuff down.

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
A. Do NOT pour any caustic drain cleaner down it, such as Drano.
B. Use a good non-caustic enzyme-based drain cleaner like DrainCare and follow the directions on the jug.
It will eat out (dissolve) all organic gunk, but won't harm the sink, fixtures or pipes (or your skin and eyes like a caustic cleaner will).
Good Luck!
Mike

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I would have suggested the enzymes, but they would not reach the peels. Well I have not found any that would work fast.

Shluffer

Reaction score
I'm willing to let it sit for a day to clear the drain. Will the enzymes get past the trap? How long will it take them to work?

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Is the water moving down slowly? If you had water in the bowl will it drain slowly down? If so the enzymes might reach it.

Shluffer

Reaction score
In the end, I tried a home remedy: 1 cup baking soda, 3/4 cup vinegar, 1 cup salt. I didn't have enough so I went with 1/2, 1/2, 1/2. It fizzed nicely. We checked on it after about half an hour and the water was lower. After about an hour, it drained nicely. Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks